Chapter twenty seven

TW: angst, blood?

George weaved through more halls and turned another sharp corner, fragile paintings falling off of the walls and shattering onto the floor as the group bumped into them accidentally.

"Whoops," Tommy mumbled under his breath, barely slowing his pace.

Dream could feel the air around him seep through the cracks and edges of his mask as he followed his friends, turning the corner as well and receding down the next hall, stepping over broken glass and picture frames.

George loosened the tie around his neck as he ran in front of the group, pulling against it with his hands and trying to breathe. He pointed towards a tall, wooden door up ahead with his other hand. "We need to go through there!" He shouted, looking at Dream.

Dream nodded and sprinted ahead, slamming into the large door as he approached it and pushing it open as fast as he could. He pressed his back against the wood and held it open for his friends to run through.

"Come on! Hurry!" He yelled, waving the last person inside.

Dream closed the door quickly seconds later, slamming it in the guard's faces and cutting them off.

His hand was quick to lock it, tremoring as he slowly backed away and listened to the guards now banging against it from the other side.

His legs felt weak, burning in agony from all the running he had just done.

The reality of the situation hit him, his mind seeming to spin as he continued staring at the door and listening to the muffled voices outside of it.

He could hear Will heavily breathing from behind him. "Where do we go now?" He asked, his voice breaking mid-sentence.

Dream lifted his trembling hand to his chest, feeling as his racing heart rapidly beat against his palm.

The prince coughed from behind him. "Out that door," he said, answering Will and pointing towards the back of the room. He paused before speaking again, directing his words towards Dream. "I know you want to catch your breath but we have to go."

Dream spun around and nodded, jogging to the back of the room. He took a glance around as his shoes squeaked against the marble floor, observing what seemed to be an old ballroom. This place really is huge, he thought.

He reached the door George was talking about moments later and tried to tug against the metal handle, his friends now hovering around him as he pulled.

It didn't budge.

"It's locked," Dream said in disbelief, giving it another tug. Dust covered his fingers and part of his hand once he pulled away.

"What?" Tommy spat out.

Nick pushed Dream aside. "Let me try. You're weak."

Dream rolled his eyes and watched as his shorter friend tried to open the door, using all of his strength to pull against it and pry it open.

It still didn't budge.

Tommy backed away slowly, shaking his head. He turned towards the prince and scoffed, closing space in between them. "I knew it," he whispered under his breath, pausing for a moment and raising his voice, "You led us into a trap, didn't you?"

"Wha-" George stepped away from him, "I didn't. I didn't know it was locked- I swear! There's gotta be a way you can open it."