Chapter 2

Your car had gotten strange looks as it drive down the freeway, but what did you expect? It isn't everyday someone drives away with a animatronic fox, most likely recognized by some, in their tail bed. You found yourself humming the tune of your favorite song while you drove. Eventually you arrive at your humble adobe, the gravel crunching against one another as you pull in. 

     You pull the key from the ignition and hop out of the driver's seat. Instantly, you where hit by the raging beams of light coming from the sun. The entire driveway felt like it was on fire. Your hometown had been going through what could be considered a drought with no rain for months and blistering heat in its place. Your hum turned into light pants as you made your way around to the other end of your truck. With a loud squeak, the tail gate of your truck fell and you hopped onto it. 

     "Alright, big guy, lets get ya inside  before you melt." You mutter lightly. Unhooking the bungie cords that bound him to the back of the tail bed, you wheel him to the other end and gently lowered him onto the ground. Though it sounded easy, it was actually difficult to put him down without dropping him, considering he weighed almost two-hundred pounds. The heat didn't help much either. 

     Once he was in the ground, you groan, shaking your arms in attempts to stop your muscles from screaming at you. You let out a sigh and hop down from the gate next to the fox. He stared at you blankly with his un-living eyes, something that would creep any other person out greatly. Instead, you give him a small smile and shut the gate. 

     Then you grasp the handles of the dolly and hauled him around the car towards the awaiting garage. You didn't have an automatic garage doors like most others did, mainly because you saw it as lazy and a waste of money. You had the old fashioned latched pull-up-yourself doors. Sometimes the latch would stick and not open, but you found if you stepped on one of the handles and then unlatch it, it'd come open fine. You do just that and your shed opens up with a chorus of squeaks and rumbles. 

     You step inside and take a moment to look around at your… well, everything. All of the tools you used were scattered along the floor in a sort of organized chaos state. Green and red tool boxes lay everywhere on the floor, some opened, some not, some had tools lying beside them from you being to tired to put them away fully. On a hook near the entrance hand a dirty apron you wore to keep things like oil and engine fuel off you. Thick gloves were stuffed into the front pocket and safety googles hung from the same hook. Everyday, you'd tell yourself that you needed to go through this with a little bit of spring cleaning, but you knew deep down you would never do it. 

     On a wooden table pushed off into the corner sat an air conditioner, which you spared no time turning on, full blast. You go back outside and pull Foxy into the steadily cooling room. You unhook him from the dolly and test how well balanced he was. Satisfied with the fact that he could stand on his own, you move the dolly back over to your truck, making a mental note to return it to your uncle later. 

     You hurry back and grab a can of air off the ground. You used this as everyone else did; to get dust put if the cracks and crevasses that nothing else could. But before you opened his back panel, you gave his outside figure a quick look over. You focus on his busted jaw first. It appeared to have no support going into holding it up, something you'd need a closer look to determine. 

     "My god, when was the last time you've been to a dentist?" You joke as you look over his gnarly teeth. One of them was pushed forward in a way that it poked out of his mouth at an almost horizontal way. You poke at it to see if you can put it back in its place, but it met no avail. While examining them, you also notice some if them are actually gold teeth, which added to the pirate theme. It was cute, you thought. You move on and look at his chest, which was still covered in tears. You could probably fix those with a little bit welding if you were careful enough. Then there was his paw and his hook. His hook was dirty and covered in rust, while his paw was missing it's cover, leaving a metal, skeletal hand in its place. 

     You whistle in awe at all his abrasions. "This may take a while." You walk around him and flip open his back panel. You were greeted by the face of a huge spider. With a yelp, you blow the spider off with the can of air. It fell to the floor, scurried around in a panic then ran into a hole in the wall. Letting out a breath you realized you were holding in. Your gaze was drawn back to the fox's open back. "Ok, let's see what we got."
~~~~
     A yawn escaped your lips as you click off the black flashlight you held in your hands. You glance at your watch, seeing that it was eleven-forty-five. You set the flashlight to the side and close Foxy's back panel. The air conditioner had been shut off a while ago, just as soon as it had gotten dark and the air outside became more tolerable. You rub your eyes and push the toolbox you were using to the side. 

     Standing up with a stretch, you pat Foxy on his bare shoulder and say "Have a good night, captain." You switch off the light and shut the shed door, leaving the fox in darkness. Latching the door, you give it one last test tug before walking towards your front door. 

     You had to admit, though you weren't able to do much today, you were proud of what you had done with Foxy. You had tightened a few loose bolts, blown out a few more smaller spiders and their webs, and had taped down a few loose wires. Sometimes, you'd have to pull part of his endoskeleton out of its costume in order to get to those things, but that wasn't too often. 

     Now all that was left for you to do was get to bed and get a good night's sleep in order to work as soon as you could tomorrow. So you unlock your front door and enter your house. You yawn once again as you make your way into your bathroom, where you brush your teeth and change into some comfortable pajamas. After that, you head into your bed room. You flop onto your bed and wiggle your way under the covers of your bed, falling asleep quickly. Your last thought before falling unconscious was 'maybe I should've taken a shower first', but you didn't care much. 
~~~~
     In the darkness of the toolshed, a small cat spider scurried across the wood floor. Eight legs crawled over several bolts, wrenches and even a turned over flashlight. It made its way to the newest edition to the shed, seeing if it would do anything. The spider crawled up the leg of the monster, evaded several holes and went up to the creature's large eyes. 

     The spider stopped in between each of the blank eyes the beast had. It moved to one eye, then it went to the other. It crawled down the monster's snout, then went back up it. No matter what the spider did, the monster didn't move or even acknowledge the spider. Perhaps it was dead. 

     In an act of triumph, the spider crawled over the monster's eye and looked down at all the other arachnids that were hidden away in the shadows. It raised its front legs in a way of saying 'this is mine!' Little did the spider know, the wall clock on the inside of the house chimed a total of twelve times, signaling the arrival of midnight. Before anything could react, the eyes of the beast sprang to life, illuminating the shed with a piercing yellow glow. 

     Seeing the spider perched so pridefully on his face, the fox growled metallically and shook his head from side to side violently, sending the bug flying into the wall. His jaw slapped against his head in the action, making a noise loud enough to frighten anything that had been watching back into its crevasse. All they had known was that it was awake. Foxy was awake.