chapter four

Chapter Four: Diagon Alley

There's no other way to describe Diagon Alley other than incredible. The bustling crowds, the colorful shops, and the joy that filled the air. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. My eyes were overwhelmed with the amount of activity occurring and I had no idea where to look.

McGonagall began the journey by taking me to Gringotts Bank where I could transfer "muggle money" into wizard money and get money from my mother's vault. Gringotts towered over the other buildings surrounding it and stood out sharply with its marble design and unique columns. Upon entering the bank, it appeared similar to banks from back home but just more grand. With further inspection I noticed the creatures acting as tellers. They had long fingers, pointed ears, and a domed heads. Never before have I seen creatures like these, and my heart began to beat faster with anxiety. Slightly hiding behind McGonagall, I continued to walk towards the large desk in the front.

McGonagall cleared her throat and spoke up to the creature sitting at the desk, "We are here to enter and withdraw from the vault of Elysia Millard."

The creature stopped what he was doing and laid his eyes upon us as if inspecting us. "Do you have the key to the vault and who is requesting access to the vault?"

"Yes, I do have the key," McGonagall said as she took a key from her pocket and placed it on the desk. "Minerva McGonagall and Elysia Millard's daughter, Hunter Allen, will be entering the vault this afternoon."

The creature said, "Ok to vault 617 we will go." He then got off his chair and came around the desk and I realized he was very short. We both followed him towards the back of the bank and came across a cart. McGonagall sat down and I followed suit. 

After a terrifying ride, we arrived at a landing and we got out of the cart.

On the landing were multiple giant metal doors that look impenetrable. The creature took the key and placed it in the door and pressed his hand to the door and it unlocked. I don't know what I was expecting, but what I saw sure wasn't it. There were stacks of golden coins, silver coins, and bronze oval things. 

Near the back were also books, goblets, and other family heirlooms it appeared. What I couldn't understand was how my mother was able to keep this aspect of her life so much of a secret and I wish that she was here to explain it all to me because I was barely beginning my journey and I was lost. McGonagall withdrew a purse and began to place different amounts of the various coins into it. 

Once a reasonable amount was collected, she tied the purse and handed it to me. She next turned to the creature and motioned that we were ready to go back up and leave. Another rickety journey in the cart was had and then we left the bank. 

McGonagall then began to explain the difference between the coins and told me that the gold ones were galleons, the silver were sickles, and the bronze ones were knuts. There were 17 Sickles in a Galleon, and 29 Knuts in a Sickle, meaning there were 493 Knuts in a Galleon.

Once we had gotten back onto the street, McGonagall said, "First we will get your wand and then we will separate, and I will get your books while you get robes and an owl."

I was shocked, "Wait I get to have my own owl?" I was so utterly excited I couldn't believe it.

McGonagall laughed and said, "Why yes of course. You may pick whichever owl you please and it can stay with you at Hogwarts so that you can send mail to your family and friends."

I was nervous about being a witch and all but having a new pet was thrilling. We went to Ollivander's for my wand and when I opened the door, I accidentally knocked over a couple boxes. The entire shop looked like a tornado had passed through it. There were bookshelves filled with boxes filled with what I assumed were wands. I had no idea how we would find a wand for me or even how they were selected. Just then an older man with grey hair came around the corner and began to speak to us.

He said, "Ah Minerva what a pleasure it is to see you! Who have you got with you?"

I smiled at the kind man and place out my hand to greet him, "Hi sir my name is Hunter Allen."

He gently shook my hand and said, "I remember when I sold your mother her first wand. She was incredibly kind, just as you are."

"You knew my mom?!"

"Yes, I did. Most wizards and witches from Britain come to my shop to find their wand just like you have. Now I think I know a wand that may suit you."

After trying two wands that ended up not being the one, the third one proved to be perfect. The wand was 11 inches, quite bendy flexibility, and was made of alder wood with a phoenix feather core. Ollivander told me that my mother had a similar wand made of the same wood and core, but her's was shorter than mine. He also told me a curious phrase that, "The wizard does not pick the wand, but the wand chooses the wizard".

When leaving the shop, I tucked my new wand into the pocket of my jacket so as not to lose it. McGonagall sent me into the direction of the shop of Madam Malkin to get fitted for robes. 

As I was approaching the shop, I ran smack into the middle of a tall boy and almost fell to the floor. And I would've fallen on the floor if he didn't catch me in time like he did.

I looked up at the person I ran into and was met with warm brown eyes, ginger hair, and a very nice smile. Blushing I said, "I'm so sorry I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. Are you ok?"

After speaking he looked at me with an amazed look. He said, "You're American!" I laughed and nodded, and he continued, "What is an American doing at Diagon Alley"

"Well I will be attending Hogwarts in this upcoming school year, so I came with a professor to shop for my materials."

"Are you a first-year? You look awfully old to be a first-year."

"Haha no I'm fifteen, but Dumbledore said I would enter as a fourth-year. I actually didn't know about the whole wizarding world until the beginning of summer, so this is all very new to me."

"Wow that's peculiar I've never heard of someone beginning as a fourth year much less an American going to Hogwarts. Well hopefully you'll be sorted into the best house, Gryffindor of course. My whole family has actually been in Gryffindor and all the great wizards and witches come from there."

"That's exciting," I was blushing an extreme amount now because this boy seemed very nice and he was pretty cute. "Oh, my name is Hunter by the way, Hunter Allen."

"A pretty name for a pretty girl," he said with a flirty smile and a wink, "My name is Fred, and oh do be prepared I have an identical twin named George just in case you get confused."

I needed to escape before I couldn't function anymore, I said, "Well it was good to meet you Fred maybe I will see you at school."

As I was walking away, he said, "I'll send you an owl later. Bye, pretty lady."

I turned around to look at him, but he appeared to have already walked away. Wow, one day in and I was already beginning to have a crush on a boy.

Getting my robes was pretty boring. Madam Malkin was very interested in my life story, more so than Fred Weasley was. I never thought about it before, but my entire situation must be so weird to all of the British witches and wizards. The whole time that I was talking to Madam Malkin I noticed a boy with white hair listening in to the conversation the whole time which seemed rude cause he didn't even try to introduce himself to me.

My favorite part of the trip was getting my owl. There were so many curious creatures in the Pet Shop, but I knew that I was only there to get an owl. It was hard to choose between all of the pretty and loving birds, but I settled on a beautiful barn owl and decided to name her Athena after the Greek goddess. Once I was finished, I met up with Professor McGonagall and we returned back to my home with all my new purchases. McGonagall helped me bring everything into my house and then she left to return back to Hogwarts promising that she would see me when school began.

I had gotten back to my house just in time for dinner and I was so excited to tell my family everything that had happened today. My entire family was captivated by my story and were looking forward to going there with me one day which I really wanted to happen. Collin also loved my new owl and was up playing with her for hours. 

I went to bed that evening truly happy with my decision to attend Hogwarts. My new life was about to begin, and it was going to be great. After being extremely exhausted from the hours of shopping I fell asleep almost rapidly and slept deeply dreaming of owls and a particular redhead.