Prologue

Taking a deep breath in, you wrapped your hand around the handle to the door of the daycare. It wasn't huge, but it definitely intimidated you a bit. I mean, you were about to start working there for extra college credits, and with kids you knew absolutely nothing about.

You stood in front of the building with a pair of navy blue jeans and a white t-shirt. Your hair was pulled back into a low bun. A pair of old tennis shoes were on your feet, a thin layer of dirt coating them. You had a canvas bag loosely slung over your shoulder, the papers you needed to bring all neatly placed in a folder which was placed in your bag.

With a sigh, you pulled open the doors to the building.

As soon as you walked in, there was a counter where a clipboard, with a few papers on it, and a bell was was. Nobody sat there, but there was a seat for someone to occupy behind the desk.

A half empty coffee mug sat there, along with a cup full of pens. With a small amount of hesitance, you pushed your hand down against the bell, a loud 'ding!' coming from it and alerting the people who worked there.

You only had to wait a few seconds for a lady to come out from the hallways right beside the desk. She wore a kind smile, though she looked real tired and her hair was a bit of a mess. Glasses were placed on the bridge of her nose, shielding you from her under eye bags just by the slightest bit.

"Hello," she greeted in a soft, breathy voice.

An apron with the daycare's logo in the middle covered most of her body, but you could see that underneath it were a pair of jeans and a light gray shirt.

"Hi," you tried to offer a smile, but it looked more like a face spasm than it did a smile.

"Are you the new student worker we're getting?" she asked, sitting down in the chair behind the desk with a small sigh. She pushed a few hairs out of her face, but they only fell straight back into the spot she pushed them out of.

"Uh, yes," you slowly nodded.

She took in a deep breath, forcing her smile to be even bigger as she held out her hand, "Can I please see your papers. You know, the papers the school signed saying it was ok for you to work here and the ones you and your parents signed."

You once again nodded, quickly fishing the folder out of your bad and handing it to her.

Opening the folder, she pulled out the papers. She scanned through them, not really thoroughly checking them. It only took her about two minutes before she put the papers back in your folder.

She handed it back to you with a small smile, "Welcome to the daycare, y/n. It'll be a pleasure to have you here."

"Thanks," you said with a smile, shoving the folder back into your bag. You juggled your weight from one foot to the other, having no clue what to say.

"Would you like to meet the kids? I'm sure they're excited to meet you," the lady got up from the chair, grabbing the handle to the coffee mug while she was at it.

"Oh-uh, sure."