27| Loyal

Chapter 27: Loyal (Gianna's POV)

I cleared my throat and grabbed my drink, sipping on it while staring out the window. I don't exactly know why I said that, but I meant it. I think I did. 

Making him miserable is one thing but there's still right and wrong. And he killed Chase, nothing can change that, that's the truth. But the truth is also that Chase killed someone first. I'm in no position to say which one of them was right and wrong, but that was the past. And it's not my past, it was Allister's and Chase's. 

My past was my dead brother and his killer. And my present is my husband and my murderer brother. And I have to pick a side. I don't know what went down in the past and he won't tell me. And in my present, I have a caring husband who is actually prioritizing me. So what do I do? Who am I loyal to? My brother, who killed someone? Or my husband who killed my brother because he killed someone? 

"What are you doing, Gianna?" 

"What do you mean?" I mumbled, biting down on the straw. 

"I mean who are you loyal to? Your brother or me?" 

"My brother is dead." 

"That doesn't mean you can't be loyal to him, sweetheart. He's your brother." 

"And he killed someone." 

He watched me carefully. 

"Brother or not, he killed someone, Ace. And husband or not, you killed my brother. It doesn't matter that he was my brother or that you are my husband. You're both murderers. And I have to choose which side I'm on. Murderer A or murderer B. But I don't fucking know who Chase killed and you won't tell me."

"You think it can be justified? I'm a murderer, you can't justify that. And so is he." 

"I'm not trying to justify either one of your actions. I'm just trying to understand them. Who did he kill? Ace." 

"Gianna, no." He shook his head. "No." 

"Fine," I sighed in defeat. "Okay, hubs. Okay." I threw the empty cup, empty fries box, and wrapper into the brown bag. I looked outside and spotted a trash can. "I'll throw this out." I picked up the bag, crumpled it up, and stepped out. I walked to the trash can, tossing it inside, mumbling curses under my breath the entire walk there. "Fuck, man." I laughed dryly to myself. "He can't tell me anything, I can't stop liking him, what the fuck do I do?" I turned back around, walked to the car, and climbed back in. "Do you have time to drop me off at work? Otherwise, we can just go to Delirium, I'll take a cab. I left my car at the office." 

"You took a cab to Delirium?" 

"Yeah. I didn't want anyone to follow me." 

"I'll drop you. But can I ask you something first?" 

"Of course." 

"Who do you want to be loyal to? Your brother or me?" 

"That depends on what he did." 

"No, it doesn't. You know it doesn't. When you're loyal to someone you support them and fight for them no matter what. You can still try asking them to do what you think is right but even if they do what you think is wrong, you still support them. That's what loyalty is to me. So, who do you want to be loyal to?" 

"You." 

He stared at me. 

"And him. I don't fucking know yet," I scoffed. 

"That's okay. You'll figure it out." He put his hand back on my thigh, his thumb stroking me. "You will." 

I frowned, staring at him.