Northpass

The morning sunshine filtered through the curtains that were beginning to fade from years of being exposed to the sun. Audrey propped herself up on the bed and yawned, the smell of beacon and eggs wafted up from the downstairs kitchen, a hint of herbs and spice in the eggs, a specialty of Hectors which were gathered from the forest and the garden. He often found many uses for the herbs from medicinal uses to ones that tasted like lollies called Wyvern. A handy trick for the local children who had never tasted sweets. 

 She jumped out of bed as Hector made his way up the stairs. "Morning Hector, a fine day isn't it." Audrey said in a cheerful voice. 

"Yes. Yes I suppose it is." He replied, but as she turned around it wasn't Hector. But a knight who was covered in blood and clearly limping, he pointed his gleaming sword, the sharp edges glistened, just singing out for the cry of blood. 

He started to thrust the sword in the direction of Audrey piercing her skin as she fell down as the world went black. 

When she woke up the knight was in a pool of his own blood. What happened all came flooding back to her as she gripped her stomach where she had been stabbed. The pain searing through her side making her grimace in shock. She pressed her wound and ran down the stairs looking for Hector. When she came to the kitchen, he was lying on the floor motioning for her to come. As she got closer, she saw that he had been stabbed near the heart, blood pouring out. She scrambled to find a cloth which could stem the flow. Hector again motioned for her to come close, in order to save his energy. 

"I....I have bbbeen wantting to tell you this. I shoulddd... have told you sooner." He stammered using much of his energy. "Its okay you will survive; you can tell me later." Audrey replied trying not to panic.

"No I havvve to tell you" he used the last of his energy was his eyes glazed over as the life in him left his body. As Audrey finally woke up in a start. Rain was pelting hard onto the roof which threatened to break the glass in the window. Audrey jumped out of bed and ran down to the kitchen. 

 "Thank goodness you are okay" She exclaimed when she saw Hector standing in the kitchen and ran over and hugged him. 

 "Why wouldn't I be okay?" he asked while he put down the pan and hugged Audrey back, the wrinkles around his eyes and mouth an indication that he often smiled over the years. "I have some bacon and eggs for you." He scraped the food onto a plate. 

 Audrey grabbed the plate and wondered about her dream, she had never had anything like it. Was it meant to mean something to her? It was probably just a bad dream anyway. As she dismissed the thought. 

"mmm its delicious" She said with her mouth half full. "Thanks" Hector smiled in reply. She noticed how old he looked today. "How about I do the cleaning up today" She suggested even though she hated anything to do with cleaning. 

 "But don't you hate..."

"Nope its fine" Audrey interrupted as she crabbed the pan and flashed a smile and ran past. Better get it over and done sooner than later she thought. 

"You're not trying to convince me to let you have another puppy are you?" He teased as it dawned on him. "Ohh you are!". 

 "No don't be silly!" she said as she grabbed the bucket to get water from the pump. "I would never do that to you!" she said in her most playful and charming voice. 

 The wooden bucket was old and had splinters in the handle. But Audrey had learnt quickly when she was young that if you strategically kept your hand still on the handle you wouldn't get any splinters in you hand.