5. BIRTHDAY MORNING

'Cause I'm on top of the world, 'ey
I'm on top of the world, 'ey
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I've been waiting to smile, 'ey
Been holding it in for a while, 'ey
Take it with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child
I'm on top of the world

-On Top of the World  by Imagine Dragons

The next couple of months pass like a blur.  Bucky had adapted to his life in the tower and the compound.  He liked flying with his new family any time they had to head to upstate New York.  Peter was great in teaching him about the new technology of the world and Steve made sure that touches of his old world were still around.  After he healed, Sophia made a new arm. It was just as sturdy as his old one but the star on his arm was gone and replaced with the Avengers "A" on it. He was able to start training with Steve and Sam.  He got to know the other Avengers and got along with them.

The only fault he still had were the nightmares.  Some nights he slept just fine.  But on this night, a nightmare gripped him in complete fear. Most nights it was the flashing memories that gripped him. But tonight, it was a nightmare. Seeing Sophia beg for her life while he stood over her, full in Winter Soldier mode.

Sophia had gotten up to get a glass of water. She looked at the clock 1:45 AM.  I am going to be a zombie in the morning she thought to herself.  She heard a noise coming from the hallway.  She put down the glass and made her way to the rooms.  She opened Peter's door and found him deeply asleep.  She heard the noise again and realized that it was Bucky making the noise.

She opened the door and saw that he was in the middle of a violent dream.  She knew better than to touch him to wake him.  "James," she called.  "James, wake up. Its Sophia.  You are ok sweetheart."

Bucky thrashed and mumbled in Russian. Sophia looked around to see what she could use to wake him.  She didn't want to wake Steve unless she had too.  She saw the nerf gun from his fight with Peter.  She loaded it and fired at Bucky.

Bucky woke with a start. He grabbed the form ball and looked up to see Sophia pointing the gun at him, a hint of a smile on her face. "I didn't want to touch you while you were dreaming. That could be dangerous," she explained.

"Oh. I'm sorry Angel did I wake you?"

"No, I was getting a glass of water and I heard you.  Are you ok?"

"Yes. No. I don't know." Bucky runs his hand through his hair.  "I see faces. Of the people i...." he trails off. He couldn't explain that it was her he was hurting.

"Oh, sweetheart its ok. That wasn't you."  Sophia sits on the edge of the bed. She sees a tear fall from Bucky's eye.  He quickly wipes it away from his face.

"Thanks Angel. I think I am going to go back to sleep."

"Ok James."  She leans over to kiss him on the forehead. "If you need me you know where I am."

Sophia closed the door and heads back to her room.  She slides back into bed with Steve and he wakes with a start. "Love, you ok?"

"Yes love.  I was getting a drink and Bucky had a nightmare.  Don't worry he is ok."

The door creaks and Steve's head snaps up.  Bucky pokes his head in. "I don't want to be by myself," he mumbles, a crack in his voice.

"Oh James, its ok."  Sophia gets up and hugs Bucky. "You can stay in here tonight with us ok?" Sophia gets a blanket and pillow and puts it on the couch near the window. Bucky lays down and Sophia tucks him in.  She goes back to her side of the bed and lays down on Steve's chest.  "Good night my love.  Good night James."