Backstory

Kuvira and I both grew up together in Zaofu. We met in the same first-grade class when we were 8 (when Su-yin took Kuvira in as her own). I always remember her being mean to the other kids. She sat alone on the end of a metal slide one day at recess. So I decided to talk to her and become her friend because I felt like everyone deserves a chance to have friends. I went to the slide and asked, 

"Are you okay?"

"Why do you care?" she sniffed indicating that she had been crying. "I'm sure you think I'm a monster just like everyone else." she looked down at the wood chips in her hand with a frown on her face. A soft smile came to my face as I kneeled to look into her eyes. I reached my hand up to her hair and moved her bangs to the side. She looked up at me in disbelief. "I don't think you're a monster," I said with a soft smile. She blushed. "Do you.. wanna play on the monkey bars with me?" I asked. "Um...yeah." she smiled.

"My name is Y/n," I said holding out my hand. "I- I'm Kuvira," she said as she grabbed my hand and we ran to the monkey bars.

After that, we became inseparable. We took metal bending classes together and in sixth grade, and Su wanted Kuvira to start going to her Nimble dance classes, but she didn't want to do it alone so she asked me to join with her. Me and Kuvira were the best dancers in the class, but we were also the most mischievous. We were kind of the class clowns that would pull pranks on Su all the time. She was the one that came up with the prank ideas and when we would get in trouble after, I was the one that got us out of trouble. We kinda drove Su crazy and I'm surprised she didn't kick us out of the class...permanently that is.

On the last day of sophomore year, I was waiting for the train, still in my school uniform (we wear green tie over a white button-up and a silver skirt), as Kuvira came up to me and said, "I have a surprise for you, but It requires you to be blindfolded." (she was in her school uniform as well but she was wearing black ripped jeans instead of the skirts we had to wear. Su always got onto her about it, but because it's the last day I guess she didn't care. She had her hair in a side braid and her wrists consisted of many bracelets. The sleeves of her button-up were rolled up showing her arms.). I was hesitant at first but I soon agreed and she took my hand and we started running to the train station. When we walked on the train she turned my body to her and pulled out a piece of black silk from her school backpack. "Oh! You were being serious about that?" I said. We chuckled as she sat on the train seats pulling me down with her as I slowly sat beside her. She looked into my eyes while still holding my hand rubbing her thumb across my skin. 

"Do you trust me?" she said softly. I nodded yes. "Good." she took the silk and wrapped it around my eyes so I couldn't see anything. She tied the knot behind my head and I could feel her slide her hands to my shoulders. 

"Can you see?" she asked. 

"Nope. Not a thing." I laughed. She patted my shoulders, "Perfect." she said as she sat back in the seat with her right arm around me. I didn't know what was going on but I wasn't complaining. She and I have been friends for a long time and she pulls crazy stuff all the time, and we've always been super touchy with each other, so this was nothing new. But this didn't feel like one of her silly pranks...

I felt the train start to move, which made me jump at the sudden movement. Kuvira squeezed my shoulder to reassure me. "Damn, jumpy much?" She teased. "Oh, ha ha." I said sarcastically. "So I know this is supposed to be a surprise but like... where the heck are we going?" I asked as she softly chuckled. "Like you said, it's a surprise. But it's nothing bad I promise," she said. I smiled and playfully rolled my eyes under the silk. 

Soon enough the train came to a stop and Kuvira lead me out. I did stumble a couple of times but Kuvira made sure I didn't fall. 

She stood behind me holding my hands telling me where to step. "We're almost there," she whispered behind my ear which set off the butterflies in my stomach. "Just a couple more steps...and.." she slowly let go of my hands and put them on my waist to move me. "..just stand right here." she let go of my waist and reached for the silk.