[1]

January 1942

Sitting in the waiting room is probably the second worst thing ever, after not hearing back from my mother in the middle of the war. Being an 18 year old girl in the middle of the war without a family is pretty tough, and being asked to sit in the waiting room of your bosses office is probably even worse.

"Mr. Lenard, will see you now" Mr Lenards assistant called out. Mr Lenard is a rich man, he has a big office and his very own assistant. It's because he runs the biggest business in Brooklyn, i still don't fully understand what his job does but the only thing i do here is look at things under the microscope and help out Mr. Lenards assistant. I walk through the big brown doors and and I see Mr. Lenards sitting at his desk reading the crappiest newspaper in Brooklyn.
"Ah Vera, great your here, you know ill never understand you. You come to work everyday and do what you've been told an then just go home, where's the fun in that" he laughs puffing out smoke from his cigar. I tuck the hair around my ears and I laugh.
"Well isn't that what a job is sir" he look at me and he smiles. He stands up and walks over to the picture hanging over his desk. That's his father Walter Lenard, the original owner of the company, was around for a while until he was drafted to help out in the war and never came back, know that story off by heart because he's told everyone in the office about a million times.
"What i mean is, would you like a new higher paying job" he looks me straight in the eyes with the most serious face I've ever seen. He breaks away when he sits back in his chair and takes another puff of his cigar. I stand there in shock, I've been in this job for 4 months now and he already wants to give me another job. " The job is hard working and full time, i know you, i know you can do it"
"I'll do it, but only if its close by" i look at him an put my hand over his desk and he grabs it and shakes it. I walk out of his office very happy and i skip out to the front desk and pick my last pay up an then walk out of the building. Walking to shops wasn't that hard if i wasn't getting catcalled by every man on the street. I wasn't even that attractive, my best friend Olympia she was beautiful, being the blonde headed girl everyone wanted a taste of her. As I'm lost in my thoughts i run into someone, a man very handsome man, shortly cut hair and a smile that could light up a room, a shortly cut beard, my thoughts are cut off when he speaks.

"Hey, sorry i wasn't watching were i was going, Sebastian Frankel, and you are" he speaks with such ease. I put my hand out and he shakes it.
"Vera Taman, nice too meet you" he smiles and the blood boils to my cheeks. He notices and he laughs. He must be a year older, very mature, more than every boy i know, which is not much.
"Well Vera, i have too be off, but here go here tomorrow at seven and we will have a dance" he laughs and hands me a newspaper with a address circled in red ink. I put the newspaper up too my chest hugging it.

I run home and run through he door to Olympia reading her novel at the table. She looks up and laughs and closes the book and walks over to me and takes the food and places it on the table.
"Vera where were you, its almost eight o'clock, geez" she huffs and looks at me. I hand her the newspaper and i jump around.
"It's just a silly newspaper" she turns it around "What's with the red ink on it" she points at it.
"I met a cute man today and he is taking me dancing tomorrow at seven" i smile and Olympia laughs. I look at her and she stops.
"What" i look at her. " What's wrong with Sebastian"
"Nothing it's just that, you've never been on a date with anyone before," she trails off and i throw the closet pillow at her.
"Oh shut up, Olympia just cause your an expert on it doesn't mean i don't know how to on a date. Sha laughs and so do I.

I wake up early to go tot markets. On Saturday's I wake up early head to the markets because Lacy, one of my mothers friends always hooks me up with a bit of a job to do for money, today I went for extra money for tonight.
"Vera, your here early, what are you up too" she stares at me for while before putting her chickens back in the coops.
"I need more money, so that means more jobs, please" i give her the sparkly eyes Olympia taught me. She laughs and hand me a basket full of eggs and fruit, plus a list. I walk to the first address and give them what they ordered and there money. Each of theses houses are on different whereabouts in our city, and only being 18 its pretty hard but i try my best.

After delivering stuff to people for an hour i head back to Lacy with the money and basket. She counts the money and smiles.
"Since you made extra today you keep all of it, its about 50£, enjoy" she smiles and hand the money to me, "just like your mother." She laughs and i run off and she waves.

I run to Marias dress shop, she laughs as i run in and she looks at me and smirks.
"I heard you got a date Vera," she smirks and wiggles her eyebrows. I blush at the thought of Sebastion. "Let me guess you need that dress i have put on hold for you until you could pay for it another time," I nod my head. She walks out the back and grabs the dress.