Chapter One

"I HATE YOU!" I screamed.

"WELL, I HATE YOU TOO, YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE BITCH!" Miranda yells!

I run out the back door of my house slamming it. I pull out my phone and call my best friend Trace. 13 minutes later he arrives in his run-down, blue truck. he gets out running towards me, he reaches me and holds me close to his warm chest stroking my short black hair.

"what's wrong?" he asks in his deep and somewhat feminine voice. "I want you to take me away from here." I start to notice that I'm sobbing. "That's not what I asked you," he said, getting impatient. "Miranda and I had a fight," I say reluctantly. "About what?" he asks. "My mother wants to take me gambling with her again. And I hate it. I hate lying and cheating. That's all she does." Now I'm sobbing even more. "OK well, now I understand but we can't leave yet we're not even 18 yet." "But can I at least stay at your place tonight?" I say sounding like a child. "I guess so, Kastle." He says my name with compassion in his tone. "now, go upstairs grab some clothes and leave your mom a note." "Do I have to?" I ask sounding even more like a child. "She may not be the best mom in the world but she still loves you." He says sternly.

"Man, I hate it when you're right." so with that I go upstairs grab some clothes and leave Miranda a note saying that I went to Trace's house and will be back the following day.

I quickly tiptoe down the stairs as to not disturb Miranda. It's not like it's uncommon for her to be passed out from her opioid of the week or and an entire bottle of whatever liquor she's picked up in an already drunken state. I leave out through the back door without hesitation and walk toward the truck where Trace has been patiently waiting.

"Are you coming or what?" He asks now sounding impatient.

"Coming!" I say with a smile.