Chapter 18

Sakura was up and moving before sunrise knowing that if she traveled hard, she would find her target today. Just as she reached the top of a hill an unpleasant smell reached her enhanced nose. Her eyes quickly scanned the valley below and widened when she saw the source of the smell. There was a small village below with many buildings ablaze. She felt as if ice were running through her veins and she ran as fast as she could.

When she reached the streets, she passed several villagers roaming the streets with tear stained cheeks and vacant eyes. There was evidence all around her of what had transpired. The bastard had not even bothered to gather all his kunai. The kunoichi finally stopped when she saw a young mother carrying a wounded child.

"What happened here?" She asked dreading the confirmation that she was sure she would receive.

"Rouges." The woman explained as she held her child even closer. "There were three of them. They took whatever they wanted. When some of the men tried to stop them; they went on a rampage. They were shinobi I am sure."

"I see." Sakura's heart sank. She had failed. Maybe if she would not have stopped for the night this village could have been spared. "I am a ninja too. Can I please help you?"

"Thank you." The woman hesitated for only a moment before lowering her child to the ground.

Sakura felt her blood boil when she saw the little one's wounds. Her healing chakra flared to her hands as she tended to wounds that she had seen countless times before, kunai wounds. As she finished with the last of them, she was vaguely aware of the woman profusely thanking her with tears streaming down her cheeks. Screaming from further down the street caught her attention and she rushed on.

"You are wasting your chakra." The Kyuubi warned. "It is unwise to do so before battle."

"Shut up." Sakura bit back. "If I run low, I will just use yours."

The fox did not reply; this was an argument that he would not win. His little jinchuriki was still too compassionate for her own good. She would not stop helping others regardless of any possible ramifications. He would just be sure to watch out for her when the hunt for their mark resumed.

When Sakura reached the area of the burning buildings she was faced with a frantic scene. Villagers were running back and forth from the well futilely trying to put out the flames one bucket at a time. A desperate woman was pleading with them to hurry, her child was still trapped within.

"Where is your child?" Sakura had to shake the frantic woman to gain her attention.

"Up there!" The woman frantically pointed to a room on the second floor, a room with far too much smoke pouring out of it.

Without another word Sakura leapt to the ledge of the room and peered inside. Dread crept up her spine. The room was untouched by flames but clouded with smoke. She swiftly entered the thick cloud and was able to locate a futon. There was a young girl, no more than three, laying upon it. Her body was still warm to the touch, but a quick pulse of chakra proved her fears to be true. Even being the best medical ninja in the world, this child was beyond her help. She took great care, even though the girl was beyond feeling any pain as she jumped down to the woman waiting below.

"I am so sorry." Sakura's voice was weak, and she was nearly deafened by the mother's anguished wail.

Numbly she walked to the well. A few quick hand signs and she summoned a dragon to accomplish that which the villagers could not. Skillfully she maintained control as she weaved it through the destruction careful to cause no more harm. Her task complete she turned to the man who had been giving orders to the others.

"Bring me your wounded." She instructed. "I will do what I can."

The injured were brought to her and Sakura worked quickly without a word. She saved eleven, but three more were lost. Once her task was complete, she rose their blood still upon her and walked towards the village gates.

"Where will you go now Lady Kunoichi?" The man from before stopped her.

"To make the ones who did this pay." She explained in a voice with no emotion.

"You must not go alone; they are too strong." He cautioned. "I will gather the men who can still fight to go with you."

"No need." Sakura refused. "Your men will be needed here. I will not be responsible for any more harm to your people."

"You are responsible for none of this my lady." The elder reasoned.

"If I had captured them sooner your village would have been spared." She explained.

"You cannot hold yourself responsible for the actions of those monsters." He insisted. "If not for your intervention all would have been lost. You, my lady, are our savior."

"No." The delicate looking woman's voice was still as cold as steel. "I am as much of a monster as they are. But I assure you they will never trouble you again."

With that said she made a hand sign and vanished into the wind. The only evidence that she had ever graced them with her presence were a few petals left dancing in her wake.