Chapter 1

Vella sat at her desk, math in front of her. She was tapping her pencil on the desk rhythmically, her long auburn hair tied up in a bun. She lived in an apartment complex in Hurricane Utah, she had a small white cat, who she named “Buffy the mouse Slayer.” After her favorite show, “Buffy the vampire slayer.”. “Buffy, here girl!” Vella called, and Buffy had been sitting outside her room for a while so she decided to call her in.

Buffy walked in and sat on her lap, “good girl Buffy.” Vella said, stroking her fur. Vella glanced at the clock, “9:30 PM already?” Vella said, in a sarcastic tone. “Guess I’ll have to do my homework before school tomorrow.” Vella said.

Her mom came in to bring her dinner. “You missed dinner Vella.” Her mom said, she glanced at Vella’s paper, “Vella, it’s only two problems on two pages. Besides, it’s only to see what you know about basic Algebra.” her mom said. “Fine, I’ll stay up plugging numbers into variables using the given equation to solve the problem.” Vella groaned, she took one look at her paper and started scribbling.

“Let’s see, Y = 2x + 3.” Vella mumbled, “So, the first number in the X boxes is 3, 3 x 2 + 8 = 14.” Vella said she spent atleast 15 minutes doing her four problems. She finished and crammed the homework into her backpack. She threw on her Pj’s and collapsed into her bed.