Chapter 2 - Encounters

2.3k words

————————————————————————

"The pale blue hues calm worries and preoccupation. Blue represents peace, openness, and serenity," ... "Blue," ... "offers a cooling antidote to anxiousness."
————————————————————————

{Sohn Eric}

I couldn't even concentrate on the movie. And no, it wasn't because I was too scared. It was because of the freaking old man sitting with us. I mean sure, Juyeon, Kevin, Chanhee, and Changmin hyungs were all the same age as him - only two years older than Jiyhe, Sunwoo, and me. But he just looked so old.

Jihye's boyfriend, Donghyun sunbae, showed up last minute to our movie night. He would always come late after the cafe closed to spend time with Jihye. Every. Day. Sunwoo and Haknyeon hyung looked so uncomfortable next to the couple. Jihye sat between Donghyun's legs on the floor with his arms wrapped around her waist. He dug his pointy, stubbly chin into her shoulders as if it was a romantic cuddling position. Jihye looked more uncomfortable with her own boyfriend than the guys were. She was clad in a thick, wool cardigan and was being smothered by Donghyun's body heat in this boiling apartment. I was about to pass out from heat stroke just from wearing sweats and a t-shirt. I couldn't even imagine how hot she must have been feeling in what she was wearing. She started to fan her face with her hand while watching intently at the screen.

I leaned forward from the recliner. "Jihye," I whispered.

"Shhh, don't talk during the movie," Changmin glared at me.

I ignored him, still addressing Jihye, "Aren't you sweating?"

She laughed awkwardly, "Only a little." She exhaled abnormally and continued to fan her face. I could see sweat glistening on her forehead like glitter. Donghyun gave me a weird look.

Sunwoo turned to Jihye and joined in, also ignoring Changmin's shushing. "Why don't you take off your sweater thingy?" he suggested.

Jihye looked alarmed. "No, it's fine don't worry," she laughed dryly.

She looked much less than fine. Her eyes glanced behind her shoulders at Donghyun, whose face was serious and arms seemed to tighten around her waist.

"It's like almost 30 degrees in here," I protested.

"Guys," she started. "I'm really fine, don't worry about it." She tugged at the bottom of her sleeves, pulling them over her palms in sweater paws.

"It's just because there are a lot of people in here that it's hot," Donghyun commented.

No, it's because you're suffocating her with your bear grip, I thought to myself. But of course, I didn't say it outloud because I'm too nice or whatever.

Donghyun continued and pulled me out of my thoughts, "Come to think of it, it's getting late. Why don't you guys get out of here. Don't you have to work early tomorrow?" Donghyun stared coldly into my eyes as if I did something wrong.

I objected, "The high schoolers are working the cafe tomorrow." I stared back with a daring squint. Surely I looked as threatening as I felt.

He whispered something into Jihye's ear and she dropped her gaze. "Guys, I still have to open up early in the morning, we can continue the movie after class tomorrow."

I saw Donghyun hide a grin.

Changmin groaned, "Fine. It was just getting to the good part but whatever."