Jace | Chap. 42

I was so frustrated, I didn't even bother stopping her when she replaced the logs, she can waste her time for all I care; I know it's a lost c— son of a bitch... my eyes grew wide in complete stupor when flames rose from the moss and slowly grew onto the wood, consuming it. I had to look away and hide my reaction as the girl gazed over her shoulder like some kid eagerly awaiting a reaction from their parents. I could only thank Selene that the others weren't around, I could practically hear Ryder's mocking voice already...

What's wrong Alpha? Need a lil'lady to get your fire going? Anything else ya need help starting up, haha!

I was pulled out of my thoughts when the Omega stepped out of the cave and headed toward the forest. "H-hey!" I quickly caught up and grabbed her arm. "Where are you going?

- To catch some food." She responded, barely looking at my face. What the hell is wrong with her!?

"Pfft, as if you can catch us anything; unless you forgot your rank." I felt her arm stiffen at my words, and I smirked. Oh, struck a nerve did I? I released her arm and turned around, preparing to transform. "Do me a favor would ya? Keep the fire going while I catch us some gru— GAH!" My phrase was cut short when I felt a sudden pain jab at my side, which caused me to fall to my knees. I heard her call out my name and she ran up to me, but I quickly pushed her away as she tried to help me. "I'm fine!" I hissed, frustrated I kept humiliating myself in front of her.

But the mule headed girl just wouldn't understand. "No your not. Your exhausted and badly injured... you need to rest.

- Sure, like I'm gonna listen to an Omega... stay back and let me do my thing so we don't starve." I tried to stand back up, but my body refused to cooperate and I groaned as a second wave of pain invaded my body.

What's wrong with me... why... can't I... move...? I was paralyzed from the pain, and my Wolf wasn't responding to my orders. In fact, he seemed to be omnipresent which could explain why my body had difficulty healing itself.

I groaned, irritated. Guess we're going hungry tonight...

After a few struggles, I was finally able to stand up and I hobbled back to the cave where I found the Omega gathering a few sticks and twigs for the fire. Just as I laid my back on the wall of the cave, I realized she was trying to make herself some sort of mattress. I chuckled loudly, amused.

"And what are you up to now? Making some sort of bed?

- You can call it that." She dryly replied while stringing together a few twigs she found into a sort of net. "If we sleep on the ground, we'll catch a cold. I can make one for—

- I don't need your help." What does she think I am? She should know by now that I don't need her pity, I'm not some helpless pup.

I staid silent for a bit, not certain what to talk or think about. In the end, my hunger ended up getting the better of me and I could no longer ignore it. I stood up from my spot and walked outside, but a gust of wind threw the stench of my clothing into my face, reminding me I had no odor camouflage whatsoever. In other words, our scent has probably already been spread across the forest, alerting any nearby critter of my presence.

"Seems we're gonna need to scavenge for food... the wind has already carried our stench around at this point; if there were any prey nearby, their gone for sure." I half mumbled, unwillingly thinking out loud.

What the hell am I doing, I don't need to explain myself to her!!

I pinched the edge of my nostrils and didn't wait for a reply as I headed in the direction of the cottage where I first found clothing for both of us. If I remember well enough, the place seemed abandoned but I didn't stick around to find out. Humans can be known to be particularly protective of their stuff so I'd better keep my guard up.

Senses sharp, I carefully trekked my way towards the cottage, following my scent trail which was luckily quite easy to follow; hard to miss the scent of booze and ash when your a pure blood Wolf like me. It only took about half an hour for me to reach my destination, smiling from ear to ear as I began to fantasize about what goods I would find inside. Surely a human living in such a meager home wouldn't have anything as refined as a nice filet mignon or caviar, but I could go for a nice steak or some salmon. Come to think of it, a good old cheese sandwich wouldn't hurt either. Add a nice bottle of whine and a pretty chick to sleep with, and I'd have myself a perfect night out. It's disappointing the only female around is the Omega but I'm sure she at least has some experience in that regard; it isn't uncommon for Wolves to visit the Omega for a little one on one fun, if you get my drift.

I remember a few friends of mine once spoke of it back in the day and even invited me to participate in their little guilty pleasure. But I refused for obvious reasons; I was way too mature and important to sleep with such low rank mutt. I chuckled to myself, as a stupid idea passed through my mind. Hmm... we are alone so maybe she might not be as useless as I thought  tonight. No one needs to know and it has been awfully lonely these few days...

My thoughts were swept away as I spotted the brown planks and white contours of the cottage, which only slightly stood out from the surrounding area; the trees had barely been touched around it, which made the place blend in a little more. Good thing I was a well trained hunter, heheh. I made it to the door and turned the knob, making my entrance into the building. Everything was as I left it; spotless as to not let any trace of a break in. Just a little precaution.

As my stomach rumbled, I started to rummage through the cupboards, looking for anything worthy to eat. At first, I could only find some old silverware and cups, but I eventually found the jackpot. Cans loaded with peas, cream corn, barbecue sauce, parmesan cheese, beans as well as many herbs and spices. I even got my hands on a nice two liter can of chocolate pudding. That'll definitely be for dessert. That's when I remembered I had stashed a nice piece of meat into the freezer and hobbled my way over to the fridge. I opened the door and leaned forward, feeling my mouth water as I spotted the prime T-Bone steak laying on the shelf. I haven't had a decent piece of meat in ages so I was eager to satisfy my carnivorous appetite.

Yet just as a straightened up, a felt something poke the back of my head, just above my neck. I froze as a strong scent of booze and gunpowder enveloped me.

I heard a gun cock back, loaded with ammo.

"Put yo'hands up son or imma blow your pretty head'off."

-*-

Consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT for more!