Twenty-Seven

"Wh-what?" Hongjoong's smile fades away and he lets go of Seonghwa as he looks up at him. "Why? Did I do something wrong?"

"Hongjoong, you know it's not that-"

"So th-then? Why?" His voice cracks. "I understand that your father is forcing you to move in with Yeosang and you're scared of him, but why can't we continue being together in secret? Like how we've been hiding our relationship up until now?"

"Because it wasn't such a secret relationship after all."

"What do you mean?"

"My father knows about you, Hongjoong." Seonghwa tells him. "He knows I've been seeing you. He also knows Yeosang's my ex-boyfriend. He found out." Seonghwa looks around. "As we're talking right now, someone might even be watching us."

Hongjoong feels his eyes watering as he can't help but feel scared. But if he's being honest... what he's most scared of is losing Seonghwa.

"And I would rather see you hate me than seeing you getting hurt."

"Y-you promised, Hwa. You said you'd protect me and you wouldn't let what happened with Yeosang repeat itself."

"I know, I know." Seonghwa nods and tries not to cry in front of him. "But I'm not a hero, Joong. I shouldn't have even promised something I have no control over. I'm sorry."

"B-but-"

"I don't know what I'm going to do, Hongjoong. I don't know if I'm going to do everything my father says or if I'll ever be brave enough to face the consequences... And I don't want to put you through all that."

"But Hwa-"

"I'm really sorry."

~Days Later~

San feels his heart break as he sees Hongjoong's eyes watering. They're all currently at Seonghwa and Yeosang's engagement ceremony.

Seonghwa had told him he broke up with Hongjoong a few days ago. He also told him his father had threatened him to act all lovey dovey with Yeosang so people would believe their relationship is real.

Since they're both acting like they're in love, Hongjoong is trying not to start crying. He looks away from them, not being able to watch as they hold hands.

"Don't they make such a beautiful couple?" Mr.Park asks some of the guests and they nod.

"You look so handsome, son." Mr.Kang tells Yeosang. "You grew up too fast." Tears fill his eyes.

"Thanks, dad." Yeosang gives him a small smile.

Yeosang doesn't blame his dad for forcing him into this marriage. Even before the engagement ceremony, he actually asked him again if he was okay with this. Since Yeosang lied and said yes, he didn't question it anymore. He knows his father would do anything to stop the engagement if he knew he was unhappy.

But he knows his father would be the one to pay the consequences... and Yeosang doesn't want him to get hurt.

"Come visit us every once in a while, okay?" Mingi asks him since right after the engagement ceremony, he and Seonghwa will move in together.

"I will." Yeosang nods and Mingi leans in to whisper something to him.

"If you're not okay with this, fix your tie." He whispers before stepping back.

Yeosang just looks at him and shakes his head. "It's okay, really." He gives him a small smile.

"Son, can I talk to you for a second?" Mr.Park asks Seonghwa and takes him away from the guests.

Seonghwa just rolls his eyes and looks away from him once they're outside.

"Even an idiot would realize you two are faking it." Mr.Park tells him. "When we get back there, you better kiss him or call him pet names or whatever the hell couples do nowadays." He's about to grab Seonghwa's hair but sees a guest and quickly pretends to pat his head. "You understand, right, son?" He gives him the fakest smile Seonghwa has ever seen.

"Yes." Seonghwa turns around and walks away from him, walking back into where the engagement is taking place.

As soon as he's inside, he puts his fake smile on and walks over to Yeosang, who's with some guests. "Can I steal him from you for a moment?"

"Of course. He's all yours." The guests say and Seonghwa takes his hand before taking him somewhere they can talk.

Hongjoong sees them walking away and sighs.

"Hongjoong... why don't we just leave?" San asks him.

"No, it's fine." He shakes his head. "They're our best friends. We should stay here."

"Okay." San just nods.

Once Seonghwa and Yeosang get somewhere that's not crowded, Seonghwa let's go of his hand.

"Is something wrong?" Yeosang asks him. "What did your father say?"

"That even an idiot would realize we're faking it." He sighs.

"So what's the plan?"

"Let's act more like a couple." Seonghwa tells him. "We need to be on his good side while we think of another plan."

"But Hongjoong's here..." Yeosang frowns. "He won't be happy."

"I'm doing this for him." Seonghwa sighs. "For as long as my father is out here, we won't be able to be together, Yeo. I need to do something, but I can't have my father suspect anything for the time being."

"You're right." He nods. "Okay."

"I promise I'll destroy my father. I'll seriously destroy him and I won't stop until he's in jail." Seonghwa's eyes fill with anger. "And that's a promise I'm going to keep."