004┆chapter four

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

four.       memories

▬▬ CASSIE SMILED AS she watched the waves hit the sand and roll away, it was a beautiful scene ― the sun rising out of the water, the sky a beautiful mix of orange and pink, the water rippling with the breeze. She pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her chin on her knee, letting the sound of the waves relax her mind. It was October, her favorite month of the year. She loved the October air and the smell of pumpkin that seemed to be permanent all month long.

The night before had been another long night of wondering, and imagining what her life would've been like if she knew her biological family. With that and the screaming from Bella, she had gotten no sleep at all, so she decided that sitting on the beach might help her relax.

What she didn't plan for was the group of guys kicking around a soccer ball a few feet down the beach. She knew them, it was Sam, Jared, and Paul. The Cult of La Push. She rolled her eyes, just the sight of Paul made her so mad that the waves and the usually calming beach wasn't working.

Cassie and Paul were friends once, best friends even, but he became closed off and he shut her out ― they were only 8. But when they started high school they were working on becoming friends again. They shared a few classes and it was impossible for them not to talk, but that ended when he joined Sam's cult and once again she was pushed away, shoved out of his life. He moved seats in class ― when he started showing up again ― he refused to look in her direction and he never spoke to her again. It was one reason she was okay with leaving the school on the reservation when Bella moved to town.

Rolling her eyes she pushed herself to her feet and started in the opposite direction that the three boys were. She was already irritated and watching him laugh like he was perfectly fine made her want to scream.

"What's Cassie doing here so early?" Sam asked, nodding his head towards the girl as she walked away from them and Paul turned, he hadn't seen much of her since he phased and he knew the her moving schools was partly his fault, but he knew it was for the better.