seven

Crossing into Maurya was never going to be an easy task, but Arjun had not expected it to be so humiliating.

The rope burned as it rubbed against his wrists, yanking him forward as Vidya's horse trotted along. They had stripped Arjun down to just his dhoti and rubbed dirt across his face and chest — it was utterly debasing. When he tripped over a branch and smacked his face into the ground, unable to stop his fall with his hands, Arjun's only comfort was that Rahul was suffering with him.

"Slow down, Vidya!" Arjun commanded as he hauled himself back up to his feet, channelling all of his authority as Crown Prince into his voice. Bits of grass and twigs stuck to his face. "We aren't actually your prisoners."

The woman spared a glance over her shoulder, rolling her eyes but slowing down regardless. Arjun did not know what to make of the woman, but he knew they needed her.

"Miserable wench," Rahul muttered under his breath, drilling holes into her back with his murderous gaze. His cousin looked just as terrible as he did, with a small cut over his eyebrow from a previous fall.

"Keep your head," Arjun warned. "This is the best way to cross the checkpoint."

"She doesn't have to enjoy it so much."

Vidya sighed, turned around with an arched eyebrow and pulled to a stop. "I can hear you, y'know?"

Rahul seethed, and Arjun was suddenly glad his hands were bound. "Let me say it louder then," he snarled, stalking up to her. "You are a miserable wench!"

Vidya did not seem fazed by his insults, instead taking a moment to sip from her canteen. Then, she leaned down so she was eye-level to his cousin. "And you are a fool," she said sweetly. "If we arrived at the border and you had no injuries, they would suspect something. The Maurya guards are not as stupid as you are."

With that, she squeezed her legs around the horse and continued on her way. Arjun could not tell if he was imagining the increase in pace.

I am surrounded by petty idiots.

Arjun wondered if he should scold Rahul, remind him how important Vidya was to their mission. But he kept silent after seeing his hateful gaze and clenched jaw. His cousin would not listen to reason in his current state.

Besides, Arjun had enough worries of his own. Vidya and Rahul could sort out their squabbles themselves. He sidestepped a fallen branch, his nerves crackling like lightning.

He could not get his Father's request out of his mind.

Baba had pulled him aside just outside the stables. Though it was the dead of night, Arjun was jumpy with anticipation and dread. The mission itself, venturing into Maurya and assassinating their princess, was difficult enough, but Baba, it seemed, had other plans.

"I want you to do something for me," he had said, his hand lightly touching Arjun's elbow as he steered him away from his travelling companions.

"Anything, Baba. You know that." He had meant it too. All Arjun wanted to do was prove himself.

His Father hesitated, licking his chapped lips before continuing, so soft that Arjun could barely hear him despite being centimeters away. "If you have the chance, complete the ritual yourself."

He hadn't argued, the shock robbing him of his voice and the fervent desire to please his Father stealing away his head. He had just nodded and offered, "If I have the chance, I will take it. I am bound to your command."

His Baba had grinned broadly, a wide smile that crinkled his eyes, before ensnaring him in a tight hug. "Be safe, little lion," he had whispered fiercely. And when he pulled back, Arjun did not miss his watery gaze.