27

Pipher Green

***

It was now the day before Valentine's day, February 13th and Anna hadn't spoken to me about celebrating so I assume she doesn't want to. Anna and I had somewhat fallen off and we only spoke to each other on occasion. Neither of us mentioned anything about being in a relationship with each other so we were free to do as we please.

Charles and I had started to slither our way into talking with the popular preppy girls. It was painful to be around them sometimes as they were overly dramatic. There was still over a month and a half until spring even started so as long as we could keep up with what we were doing, we'd do well on the contest.

Another thing I had found out while hanging out around the popular girls is that Lucy Nova is one of them. Every time I've spoken to Lucy, she's always been so nice and nothing like these girls other than her beauty.

Somehow when they were all together, their personalities sort of mixed which allowed them to all get alone.

Charles began to fancy one of the older popular girls and I didnt want to see him get hurt over her.

"Do you think she'd let me sleep with her?" He joked.

"I doubt it," I said, "She's about three years older than you,"

Nothing I said got through to him and everytime we saw the girls, he tried to be close to her. At dinner he would try and get the closest seat to her. We also found out that most of them lived in a suite together, so we hung out there a lot.

There was one other guy that hung out with all of us, but I'm pretty sure it was because his girlfriend was one of them.

Because Anna and I haven't been talking like we used to, Valentines day was just another day.

I had also passed all my tests and exams so far and so was Charles, life was overall going very well.

Because tomorrow was Valentine's day, many couples would be hanging out and it would be painful to watch.

***

Just as I had expected, Valentines was painful to experience. In the halls and corridors, couples walked together and at meals it was even worse. Frankie and Charlotte sat together, Vin and Catherine, and Anna and Charles.

I don't think they liked each other, I hope not, but it still left me as a seventh wheel.

Even just seeing Anna and Charles made me want Anna back. It made me miss the fun we had over Christmas. As long as they weren't going together to the spring dance.

Once the dreadful day came to a close and it was nighttime, Charles went out to the library to research something for a project and I was left in the dormitory alone.

There was a knock at the door, causing me to jolt up from my desk and I opened the door to see Anna.

"Hey Anna," I spoke softly, "Charles is at the library right now,"

"I'm not looking for him," She responded softly, "I came to talk to you,"

"What about?" I paused, allowing her to come inside and close the door.

"We haven't talked much and I came to try and fix that," She began, "You've been deep in your studies and I just want to spend some time together,"

I agreed and said, "Yeah, tomorrow after school I'll swing by your room so we can talk,"

"Great," She said, "I've missed you,"

"I've missed you too," I said.

We both looked at eachother, deeply and we exchanged a hug. The first hug I've gotten in about two months or so.

"Where did you say Charles was again?" She asked, pointing to the door.

My heart quickly sank to my stomach as I said, "The library,"

She left the room as if she was in a rush to get somewhere.

If I wasn't sure about it before, I am now. There is something going on between Anna and Charles and it made me jealous. It was probably like what Anna and I used to be because he still hung out with the popular girls and treated them a bit too nicely.

Late that night Charles came back from the library.

"How was the studying?" I asked.

"Well," He responded quickly.

"Who else was at the library?" I asked.

He listed a few names of students but none of which were Anna.

"What's Anna up to?" I questioned, trying to seem unsuspecting.

"I haven't a clue," He responded, "What's with all the questions?"

"Just curious," I said.

"Do you like Anna or something?" He said, "You never ask this many questions,"

I shook my head and said, "No,"

I'd like to believe I'm over Anna but I'm not and seeing her with my best friend hurts. It feels like being stabbed in the chest repeatedly.

In defeat, I threw myself in bed and fell asleep. I hadn't showered, hadn't brushed my teeth, and I was still wearing my day clothes.