xxii. i have a feeling i'm going to need it.

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"WE ARE VERY LOST."

"We are not lost."

The Crows were currently lost - in West Ravka of all places - clinging to their last sliver of hope that somehow, maybe, they be able to make it home in one piece. Whatever lay after, whether that be fire or blood ( or a compelling mixture of the two ) could wait.

They worked in shifts, the quality of the journey varying from Crow to Crow as every few hours one would be drawn from the comforting warmth of the carriage to man the reins or worse - read a map. Now, it was Jesper, which meant that the lucky souls with the good fortune to not brave the open air with the sharpshooter were able to enjoy the smoothest ride of their life. However, for the unfortunate one that had to be navigator, they'd discover that listening to instructions was not a Jesper talent.

It was Echo, somehow it was always Echo, who had to serve as both map-reader and provider of common sense as the four braincells that rattled about the minds of the Kerch natives were almost exclusively in the possession of Inej, leaving little for the other two boys.

The red-head looked up from the dimly lit country road, keeping her one good ear to the sharpshooter lest he take advantage of her ailment and try to blame their predicament on her. Kaz was already complaining from his cushioned carriage that the journey was taking too long, as if he hadn't declared himself free from any and all carriage driving responsibilities in a moment of smug delegation.

"I'm the boss, Echo." Was all he replied when she'd challenged his rather laissez-faire attitude to the whole journey.

"Just admit you can't read a map."

"I absolutely can-"

Now, she was in Kaz's bad books again, rather unfortunate considering she was the one with a fluorescent target on her back and a lot to lose, should Dirtyhands suddenly decide to 'forget' about his camp-fire made vows. Of course, Echo liked to think that Brekker was above such deceptions but, the Bastard of the Barrel? She'd rather not test him.

Echo glowered at the sharpshooter as the carriage came to a darkened fork in the road. "So you meant to take that turning?"

"Yes."

"Our fourth left turning?"

"Yes."

"You meant to go in a circle-"

Jesper groaned. "Aren't you supposed to be dying?"

"No, that was yesterday. I got bored."

"Just my luck."

Silence. Until the steady rhythm of horseshoes against stone was the only sound that broke the desolate Ravkan nights. Or at least, that's all Echo heard. The world to her right could have been exploding with festivities and revelries and she'd be none the wiser. It was times like this she was happy her sister was dead. Consider it karma.

Eyeing their place on the road, the red-head let out a deceptively cheerful laugh. "You missed the turning again."

Jesper swore. "I meant to do that!"

══

UNTIL THAT VERY MOMENT, Echo had forgotten they hadn't entered Ravka alone.

The Conductor's ( saints bless his traitorous soul ) mechanical transport was exactly where they had stumbled from all those days ago. Only now it was guarded by Oprichniki in dark cloaks and fervently bold scowls. Kaz must have felt right at home.