4. A Boy Out of This World

Chenle was exhausted.

It was approaching two o'clock in the morning, and the banquet in the honour of overthrowing the Goddess of Life in the hotel restaurant did not seem to be near its end. Gods kept coming, dressed in elegant tuxedos and beautiful dresses. They had the time of their life, taking as much as they can from every minute of the night.

Chenle was sitting at the piano, playing notes to Clair de Lune. His boss stood in the room's corner, giving him an approving smile. Chenle's new hair color definitely improved his day.

He looked at the notes he had long ago carved into his memory. He played the same songs every night according to the restaurant's requirements. However, he did not fall into any routine or monotony. Music was his passion.

He looked again at the room, full of conversation. They decorated it in a very elegant style. The predominance of écru color on curtains and tablecloths added freshness to the room, as did the bouquets on each table. Many paintings caused the refinement, representing important events in history, such as the birth of the twins Se and Sa, the punishment of the Goddess of Life or the first war between humans and witches.

He played Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 when he noticed his boss approaching him. The man was a middle-aged witch, but was often mistaken for God because of his perfect features.

"You finish at two today," he informed, leaning towards him. Chenle looked at him in surprise, not expecting to be home so soon. He usually played at such banquets until four in the morning, if not longer.

"So early?" He asked, still unable to believe.

"I hired a girl to play the violin a few days ago. The Gods wanted a change."

Chenle nodded at his words, but he couldn't help but worry.

"Is that a bad sign for me?" He asked uncertainly. "They don't like my music?"

"No," the boss denied. "You don't have to worry about anything, your schedule will just change and I will split events such as this between the both of you."

The boy nodded, still not sure what to think about it.

"Play one more song and you're ready to go. I'll see you tomorrow at the same time."

The boss walked away with a smile as Chenle played his last piece of the night. La campanella echoed through the room like proof of its worth.

He ended up proud and pleased. He got up from the piano and headed towards the back room to get his things. However, the satisfaction faded when he saw a girl with a violin. She was several years older than him, with golden hair and skin kissed by the sun. She was beautiful.

She gave him a look of contempt and without a word, she took his place on the stage. Her appearance in the spotlight aroused interest among the audience, and her sweet voice seemed to reach their hearts.

She played the first song with everyone's eyes focused on her. What was so special about it? Irritated, he turned and disappeared to the back as quickly as possible.

He paced the narrow corridor, sometimes passing a waiter. When he entered the locker room, he was relieved to find that the music of the violin did not reach it.

Several waiters were seated at the table. Some took the break and ate the pasta that was stolen from the kitchen, while others were just changing into their uniforms.

"Chenle!" Jiao exclaimed with a smile. She had a plate full of pasta in front of her. "I took one for you, too," she announced, pointing to the other plate. The boy thanked her with a smile, then sat down with his friends from work.