I See You

The hardest thing about waking up blind, is even after you open your eyes, it still feels like you're in the dark. Other visually impaired people have retained some visions of light, but it wasn't the same for Lee Yeon Seo. For her, all she could see were shadows – shadows that neither had shape nor form.

It made her angry, bitter, and helpless.

When the doctors told her that it was still possible to regain her eyesight, for the first time in a very long while, Yeon Seo started to hope. She lived and breathed ballet, and it was everything she knew ever since she was a little girl. But three years went by and still, nothing has changed. Her entire career – no, her entire lifewas reduced to nothing because of that accident. Since then, she lived everyday wondering what it was that she was waking up for.

"I want to live now."

"From now on, you will live."

Yeon Seo shifted on the bed as she slowly woke up from her sleep. She sensed movement of people around her, and it seemed that she wasn't in her room at home. Where am I? she thought with an audible groan. Her body felt sore and heavy... and she felt a bandage carefully wrapped around her head.

A sudden chill ran down her spine as she remembered herself in the exact same position three years ago. Then, she felt someone come close to the bed.

"Yeon Seo-ssi, can you hear me?"

She nodded.

"You are currently in the hospital where you received an emergency cornea transplant operation. You may feel some discomfort at first, but we will now remove your bandage to check the improvement in your eyesight. Your family will be joining us shortly."

Family? She wanted to say she had no family, but she was too tired and too shocked to reply. She simply replied with another nod and held firmly onto the sheets of the bed. She can't recall how or why she got the emergency operation, but her heart was beating fast with excitement against her chest. The person said they will check the improvement in her eyesight? If the operation went well as planned, it only meant one thing – she could finally see again.

 The person said they will check the improvement in her eyesight? If the operation went well as planned, it only meant one thing – she could finally see again

Light. The first thing she saw was an orange hued light. For the first time in three years, Yeon Seo could make out the colors and shapes around her. She used to see them only in her dreams and despite her dislike of them, seeing the faces of her cousins, uncle, and aunt made her heart flutter.

Is this true? Am I really able to see again?

Slowly, she turned her head towards the window and admired the light that passed through the blinds.

"How is it? Can you see?" her uncle asked.

"The sunset – "

"It's pretty, right?" Ni Na, her cousin, interjected. "The universe must've given us one to celebrate regaining your eyesight."