Chapter 01

Present Day

" It marks one year of your death, Callie. ", I muttered as I scrolled through my gallary that was filled with our pictures. A horrible murder that I witnessed right in front of me. Even the murderer got to die right after, leaving terrible memories for me.

If only I was a bit more persistent on not letting her go to the finale. If only I trusted my gut feeling a bit more.

I shoved my head in my face as my chest felt heavy.

Our family conducted a prayer meetings for my deceased sister and my parents told me that I can take this day off from school but I came here anyway. Staying at home was too unbearable for me.

After the horrible accident, Night-Venture got shut down. The person who ran the whole community earned a lot of hate and ended up committing suicide. I had to go to the police station multiple times to narrate the same traumatic incident over and over again untill I couldn't anymore so I changed towns. Our family shifted and I got into a new school, where I became the boring loner who is always by herself unlike how I was known in my old school. The daring bold girl who never turns down an opportunity to prove herself.

That side of me died with my sister.

" Hey? You okay? ", A voice interrupted me and I looked up to see a classmate of mine.

" Oh yeah. Just a headache. ", I lied and sat up straight.

" It must be bad because you are tearing up. Should I call the nurse? ", He asked and I shook my head vigorously.

" I have my medicine. Don't worry about it. ", I informed him when a friend group walked in the classroom and sat behind us.

" Guys. I know you have to pay but just sign up. I need to up my viewer count. ", One the girls said rather loudly for the whole class to hear. I didn't bother much.

" Fine Jenna. I logged in as a watcher and voted for you. Happy? ", Someone said and it caught my attention.

Watcher...?

" I did too but your viewer count is way low and you aren't even in the top 10 of the players. You won't get a chance at the finale. ", The other friend said and my heart started to race. Those were some words that became triggering to me so I couldn't bare to listen.

I quickly turned around to face them.

" What are you guys talking about? ", I asked. They all seemed surprised at my question as I've never willingly communicated with anyone in this class before.

" O-Oh just an online game where people pay others to complete dares. It's not something you would know about though. ", Jenna spoke.
" But if you are interested, can you join as a watcher and vote for me? "

My lips were dry and my breath was faltering a bit.

" I will do that, can you show me the app once? ", I pleaded and she handed me her phone. As I checked in, my heart stopped.

The interface is exactly like Night-Venture. Almost identical from the color to the font to the app structure.

I tapped on the home page and it said;

Welcome to Night-Venture

" How is this possible? This game got banned last year after two people died because of it? How did you get it? ", I asked and handed her phone back to her.

" You know about it? I mean, you were the last person I expected to have any knowledge regarding this but yes! it got banned but they started it again a few months back. It's illegal though but that just makes everything more fun. ", she smiled and I got up from my seat, infuriated.

" Two people died Jenna! That God damned game closed down for good and you people started it again. It's fucking dangerous, don't you people get it!? ", I yelled, all the anger oozing out at her.

The entire class looked at me in surprise.

" Okay and? Why do you care if someone died in that game? Was that your friend? Your boyfriend? Your sister? What is it to you? Stop acting like a spoilt sport Cora! If you have so many issues with the game then stay away, stop acting like the game destroyed your life or something. Jeez! ", Jenna yelled back at me and her words stung like needles in my heart. Sadly enough, it did ruin me but I realised that I was channeling my anger at the wrong person.

" I— I am sorry. ", I muttered and rushed out of my classroom. My chest still pounding like crazy because of the previous interaction.

It's okay. That game is my past now.
I have nothing to do with it anymore.

--

" This is the right thing to do. ", I said to myself and walked into the police station. I'll just go to the cyber crime department and inform them about this. They can take care of it from here and prevent any more lives being risked in this game.

" Excuse me? What is the matter? You can't just enter here without previous appointment. ", An officer stopped me as I was trying to find my way in.

" I am sorry but I have something very important to report. ", I said and pulled out my phone.
" Do you remember the online game called Night-Venture that closed down a year ago? "

The officer thought about it for a minute and then nodded to say yes.

" Okay so, today I found some of my classmates playing the game. When I further inspected, I discovered that the game has started all over again but this time it's illegal. I wanted to report it before someone else dies because of it like last year. ", I said and quickly typed in Night-Venture in the search bar.

" Really? That was a huge online community and I think if someone tried to start it illegally, we would have known. ", He mocked me so I tried harder to find it when I finally found the link.

I tapped on it, expecting to meet with the home page that says; Welcome to Night-Venture but this time it just said; page not available.

" Miss. I think your classmates pranked you or something. That thing has ended a year ago and it won't be coming back anytime soon. Be rest assured and let me get back to my work. ", Saying so, he eyed the security guard to escort me out. I tried to speak but they threw me out regardless.

That definitely wasn't a prank.

It was real.

I trotted towards a bench and sat on it, hopeless. Pulling out my phone, I looked at the page again but this time it didn't show page not available.

The page was reloading

My eyebrows furrowed in.

A ping sound informed me about the loading process being completed and to my horror, the home page showed Welcome to Night-Venture written.

" What the hell? ", I muttered as I tried to back out but my device froze. Suddenly, the home page disappeared to show a small notification box saying;

Welcome back player, kor02.

---