°•seventeen•°

"How long do you think this wave will last?" Rosita asks.

"Eugene said it could be longer than the last.. Maybe double," I answer.

She sighs, running her hands over her face.

"I feel so useless," she mutters with a chuckle, bringing one out of me as well.

Ever since the groups were forced to cross Alpha's border, waves of hers have been showing up with hardly any time in between. It's been two days and at least nine hers have ambushed the walls.

Everyone was taking shifts to take them out, interchanging groups in order to not tire everyone out at once. But, the herds were getting bigger and bigger with each visit meaning more people were having to go out. It was only a matter of time before everyone was out there fighting at once.

Rosita and I were two that were not fighting the herds.

Instead, we got to take care of our combined four kids as well as RJ, Judith, and Gracie while others were out there.

And as Rosita said, it was fairly nerve wracking. I was pretty sure I'd paced up and down the hall at least fifty times this morning while holding Glenn. 

But, it was only a matter of time before even our simple job was ruined by the herds.

--

"Hey," Daryl nods as Rosita and I walk into the room.

I could hardly hear him amid the conversations of everyone else.

"What's going on?" I ask him, moving to sit in the chair just beside him as he stayed standing.

"One of 'em came up to the gate. Said to go to the north border and wait without weapons," he explains quietly, looking around the large crowd, "Then she left."

"Left? She just walked up, told you orders, then left?"

He sighs, crossing his arms as he leans against one of the beams, "Yeah.."

"All right," Michonne's voice calls through the room loudly, gaining everyone's attention to where the council sat.

Spotting Carl sat between Michonne and Siddiq, I felt my heart drop from how exhausted he looked. But, he forces a pursed smile to me, trying to show he was fine. Once she has the floor, Michonne looks to Lydia who was seated in a chair a little over arm's reach in front of Daryl and I.

"Is this your mother?" Michonne questions.

Lydia looks around, shoulders relaxing as she spots me. I give a supportive nod to her and she turns to look back to Michonne.

"No. I don't think it is," she shakes her head.

"Why's she want to talk with us?" Daryl asks.

"You crossed into her land- again. You have to answer for that," Lydia reminds.

"We don't have to do anything," Aaron rebuttals, "We could just not go."

"That's a bad idea," Lydia warns.

"We're already under attack," the new doctor, Dante, reminds.

His words get a wave of agreement. Maybe the only thing everyone could agree on right now.

"It isn't her," Lydia denies, "If she wanted you dead, she'd send the horde. All of it, not just a few waves at a time."

"Maybe she's trying to wear us down first," Carol offers. 

Eugene stands from his chair, "Or as I relayed to you all at the beginning of this meeting, there's plausible reason to believe that the satellite and fire-"