𝟓. NO CHOICE

— RICKY

RICKY

          If you would have told me that someone had painted a giant target on my back, I would've believed you considering the amount of distasteful side eyes I received from every popular prick at East High today.

          Word spread fast that I beat out EJ for the musical's lead role which, mind you, I didn't ask for, but no one cares about what you want when constructing the drama that they want. For being used to flying under the radar, I felt like I could've burst into flames from all the heated stares. By time I made it to the cafeteria for lunch, I was probably gossiped about by every friend group I passed. I kept my head down in the lunch line, grabbing an unknown sandwich and pack of chips in order to get out of there as quickly as possible. I made a beeline for my normal lunch table, Big Red and Seb Matthew-Smith already occupying their assigned spots.

"Why, isn't it the man of the hour," Big Red announced as I tossed my food onto the round table, plopping down on one of the plastic stools beside him. I clenched my jaw, shooting him a glare similar to the ones I had been getting all day.

Seb was gnawing on a granola bar, but he still looked at me with a raised brow. "I've never heard so many people say your name in my life," he spoke with his mouthful. "I would say you're famous."

I squirmed in my seat, crossing my arms and leaning onto the table. "Screw fame," I muttered, head sinking into the neck hole of my sweatshirt. "So many people are staring at me, you'd think I had murdered someone."

"Well, you murdered EJ," Seb joked, face wiping pale when he realized I wasn't laughing. "Sorry, too soon?"

"I just don't understand it," I huffed, shaking my head in disbelief. "How did I even get the part? I'm a background guy, in theater and in life. It makes no sense to me."

Big Red patted my back. "If it makes you feel any better, I don't get it either." I didn't even have the energy to give him a displeasing expression for that one.

"Carlos was telling me about it over FaceTime last night, and he said that Miss Jenn thought you embodied the 'carefree energy' of Troy," Seb informed, utilizing air quotes. "She really loved your songwriting, thought it added a nice touch to your charisma."

"Well, respectfully," I began, eyes narrowing, "Carlos is a dick."

Seb's face was ghostly. "He was making stupid comments to Miss Jenn all afternoon. I know if he were running the show, he'd give EJ my spot in a second," I elaborated without remorse.

"You just gotta own it, dude," Big Red was optimistic. "Show this school that EJ Caswell isn't the only leading man here."

"Red is right," Seb agreed with a nod, waving the end of his granola bar at me. "You have talent, Ricky. I'm glad you're getting a chance to highlight it front and center."

"And hey," Big Red chuckled, his humorous snort to follow being the giveaway that a joke was coming. "If you fuck it up, Nini will pick up your slack."

I elbowed the ginger in the side, him wincing and dramatically clutching a hand over the wound. "You know, you both are awfully shitty yet motivating supporters."

"You never know what you'll get," Seb grinned, finishing off his granola bar. "It's what we do best."

___

I was finishing up a pop quiz in English last period when the bell rang. I shaded in a random bubble for the one question that I was stuck on and called it a day, handing the quiz to the kid in front of me so he could add it to our row's pile. Mr. Underwood emerged from behind his desk, approaching the first row to collect the quizzes. "Alright, once I've got your quiz, you're free to go," he instructed, but before I could gather my things, his focus landed on me. "Ricky, can you hang back for a sec?"

          I hated when teachers asked if you could "hang back" after class. They might as well just say "you need to stay after or else I'll despise you for the rest of the year," because you ultimately don't have a choice when you're faced with that essentially rhetorical question. For that unfair reason, I stayed put until everyone cleared the room. I didn't even have to go up to Mr. Underwood's desk because he came right to my seat, all quizzes in hand; how selfless of him.

          "So, Ricky," he started, hugging the quizzes to his chest, "I have a proposition for you. It's for extra credit to help boost your grade following the missing summer work."

          For a teacher that didn't normally give extra credit opportunities, my ears perked up. I nodded with a hum, indicating for him to continue. "The Freshmen Social is Friday night and we're short on some staff. If you were willing to stay after school to assist with last minute set up, chaperone the dance, and clean up afterwards, I'll add some extra points to this quiz to help you out."

I would've rather had him order me to get on my hands and knees and scrub every inch of this damn school with a worn down toothbrush for absolutely no credit whatsoever.

I didn't do school wide events, especially ones that I wasn't able to cling to my three friends during. Knowing that Nini, Big Red nor Seb would be at this social filled me with stress I couldn't even explain. I should've known something like this was coming, considering Mr. Underwood was the proud faculty advisor of Student Council. But, similar to the "hang back" proposition, perhaps I really didn't have a choice. Fuck you for forgetting the summer work, Ricky Bowen.

I pressed my lips together, trying to appear as cheerful as possible for someone faced with the most inconvenient extra credit chance on this Earth. "Yeah, uh, I can be there," I murmured.

Mr. Underwood barely cracked a smile. "Okay then," he tapped my desk lightly. "2:15 after school in the basement is set up. I won't get there until later, but report to Kourtney Greene. I'll let her know you're helping." Kourtney Greene. Just fantastic.

          I just continued to absentmindedly nod until he freed me. As I stormed out of the room and to my locker, I furiously ranted to Nini, Big Red, and Seb over text. It was quite rude of them to side against me, but with the rate at which today had been going, I shouldn't have been surprised. It was when I left school, skateboard in hand, that it all hit me. As I rode home, I tugged on the strap of my helmet, the only thing containing my whirling mind from exploding.

          The Freshmen Social is an event that Student Council ran. The Council's board always was the most involved in the planning and exercising of their events. The entire board would be there, President all the way down to some random members without titles. Yeah.

That included Student Council Vice President, Noelle Marshall.

𝑴𝑨𝑪𝑲 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑻𝑺
→ ricky and noelle working
the social together ;)
i have published a new rini au!
it's called good girls, and it has a
trailer and all hehe
check it out if you wish :)