The Parting Glass

AN: Hi. This takes place after Demelza tells Ross she's leaving him in 2x10. Also the version of The Parting Glass I'm using is sung by Karliene, which sounds like it could have been in Poldark(chefs kiss). I don't own Poldark, the books or the tv series or The Parting Glass. Enjoy!!!

'I'd pluck a fair rose for my love,                                                                                                                                     I'd pluck a red rose blowin',                                                                                                                                               Love's in my heart,                                                                                                                                                               I'm trying so to prove,                                                                                                                                                         What your heart's knowin'. - I'd Pluck A Fair Rose, Poldark.

Sitting down on the fully packed trunk at the end of the bed, I stare down at the floor in thought. Everything is ready to go in the morning, just a few hours more and I can go. I'll wake Jeremy, load the cart and set off to my father's house. I'll finally be free of this game that was being played between Ross, Elizabeth and George. 

So many people have been hurt, all because she can't make up her mind and choose who she wanted to be with. She will never choose and people will keep getting hurt, just like poor Francis. Ross and George will carry on dancing to every small tune she sings, no matter what he just promised me. The only person she cares about is her son.

I do feel sorry for George though, as horrible and stuck up as he is. He either can't see that he's being used or he don't care, but when it comes down to it, he's the only person he'll have to care for when it backfires on him. Even after what he did tonight, I still can't help but pity the man for what he has gotten himself into with her. By marrying her, he's only made it worse on the rest of us who were a part of this.

I really don't want to go. To have to take my son from the only home he's ever known. I don't want to leave the place where I had last held my Julia. Nampara is my home just as much as it is their's.

If I go back to my father, I will have to live with the censure that a failed marriage would bring. Drake, my brother, might some us some kindness but no one else will. He's still so young himself, to young for him to understand. A man wasn't expected to keep just to his wife, after all and it was a wife's duty to stand by her husband, no matter what, that's how the rest of my family will see it.

If only it was that easy for me to turn a blind eye and be the perfect little wife.

Getting up and moving round the room, I quietly lay down on the bed where Jeremy was sound asleep, rolling on to my back to stare into nothingness. I envy him that he has no worries. To be able to live untroubled and unaware. To have all the difficult decisions made for him.

He will love Drake, just as he loves Prudie. He'll get used to his new life but would cry for his old one. He will have new family but miss his father. He will find out the truth one day and might hate us both for it and that I can't bare the thought of.

Stay or go, I was dammed. 

He's promised that she will never come between us again, but I know that's not true and so does he, deep down. She will always be here, the third member of our marriage and another occupant in our bed. There's no way to just never see her again, Elizabeth is Geoffrey Charles's mother. I could never allow Ross to abandon him or Agatha or even Trenwith.