𝟎𝟎. prologue

the beginning

the beginning

❝ You're a weapon; and weapons don't weep. 

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐇𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐆 deep within the snow-veiled woods of the Winter Court, Caelemin was used to hunting as a means of survival. Viciously preying on what few wildlife wandered nearby and if necessary stealing whatever she could from passing merchants who strayed too close to the edge of the trees.

The forest was a labyrinth of bitter wind and frosty snow. The only good thing to come from that were the animals pulling in, wandering deeper into the woods in search of warmth. Warmth for her however was not an option.

She could no longer afford luxuries like heated blankets and padded cloaks, not even the chance to strip bark and make a fire for fear of drawing more attention to herself.

For she was on the run.

Caelemin had managed to flee the Court of Dawn and cross through the Courts undetected with a combination of stowing away in the backs of cloth-covered carriages and killing anyone who managed to catch a glimpse of her face. She knew Court guards would have already looked everywhere within the cities trudging through common marketplaces and brothels where someone could have easily stashed her away.

Now the forest had become one of their newest territories to search and they were drawing near.

She had almost gotten caught two nights ago, having drifted too far out while hunting a small doe she spotted three familiar frost blue uniforms of the royal Winter guard. She could have easily and swiftly taken them out if she hadn't been so drained of energy from lack of food and the cold temperature. So abandoning a chance of her first meal in days, she fled.

Although annoyed she wasn't surprised by their determination. The price on her head was high and the honor of catching someone who committed such a forbidden crime would not only make any guard rise through the ranks but would get them in the good graces of the Court of Dawn's malicious bitch of a crown princess; Isarea.

The person who was not only the reason for Caelemin's broken heart but the one who caused her to commit the crime she did, for feeding on the energy of another fae did not only satisfy her heartbreak but dealt a small dose of revenge.

In result Isarea was no longer after her heart but after her head.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓✩༓・*˚⁺‧͙

Caelemin had been perched up in a tree for almost an hour scouting for dinner when she heard it. The distinct sound of snow crunching under heavy boots and voices belonging to around six, the steady clanking of swords alerted her that these were not pesky hunters but guards.