Chapter One: I miss you- Blink 182

Another night found Joy lying awake, thinking of the boy she missed ever so. Now, as dawn's light started to fill the bunk room, the feeling of the arms around her waist made her feel like puking.

For almost a moment she closed her eyes and could pretend it was Sean but by then she already could hear Koppleman coming up the stairs, so she sighed, shoving Jack's arms off of her.

"That time already Kopp?" Joy asked with a sigh.

"Yes, 'm afraid so." The old man said.

The now seventeen year old nodded sleepily and slid off her bunk, moving around to shake Skippy, the girl in the bunk below hers, "Come on kid, we gotta get a move on."

Koppleman moved around the bunk room, yelling at everyone to get as the small girl sat up, "I don't want too." She whined.

"Yeah you do." Joy sighed.

Skippy groaned and looked up at her, "When did ya do that to ya hair?"

Joy looked at her now dark brown hair, "Oh I did it last night, after you went to sleep, it was getting too light."

"I thought you just did it though?" The girl asked, as Joy handed her a set of cleaner clothes.

"Yeah, but I have to keep it dark."

"Why?"

Joy chuckled, "Get ready and maybe I'll tell you."

By the time they were crossing to the bathrooms the rest of the room was filled with activity.

"Hey that's my cigar!" Race yelled.

"You'll steal annadda!" Albert retorted.

"Hey look its bath time at the zoo." Specs laughed as Henry lathered shaving cream on his face.

Joy rolled her eyes from inside her stall beginning to change from her nightshirt into her usual red shirt, clipping on her black and white suspenders.

"I thought I'd surprise me mudda."

"If you can find her." Albert scoffed.

Joy pushed out of her stall, pulling on her hat as she yelled, "Who asked you?"

She pulled Skippy back in front of her before the 10 year old ran off and began to plait her hair, as Sniper asked, "How'd ya sleep Joy?"

"I'll sleep when I'm dead Snipes." She grumbled as Skippy giggled.

Sniper tossed her ponytail over her shoulder, "Why ya gotta always say dat?"

"'S true. Right Jack?"

Jack who was walking passed, yawned and nodded, "Yea, sleeps a mans only," another yawn, "Treasure, er somethin."

Sniper and Joy laughed, "Sure Jackie boy, sure."

"Papes ain't sellin like they used too, I need a new selling spot, any ideas?" Albert asked the group.

"Try bottle alley or the harbor." Race sang.

Joy laughed, "Try central park it's guaranteed."

"Try any banker, bum or barber." Mush, who was still half asleep added.

Skittery laughed, "They almost all knows how to read."

"It's a crooked game we're playing, one we'll never lose!" Jack, who was finally starting to be fully awake added.

Joy joined in to sing, "Just as suckers don't mind paying, just to get bad news!"

"Ain't it a fine life? Carrying the banner through it all! A mighty fine life, carrying the banner tough and tall! When that bell rings, we goes where we wishes, wes as free as fishes, sure beats washing dishes. What a fine life, carrying the banner home free all!" All the newsies sang together before thundering down the stairs and passing Koppleman to run out onto the streets.