February 2018

*** Photo Credit Christian Joudrey via Unsplash ***

Los Angeles

"Jared, we're ready for you in hair and makeup," a lackey from the TV show said as he scuttled into Jared's dressing room. 

"Cool, thanks," Jared replied without looking up from his phone. 

"You've got three more interviews to do and a photo shoot," Kennon, his new assistant told him as she leaned against the counter of the vanity. 

"Got it," he said in a disinterested tone. 

He was as enthused about doing this bit of press as he would be if he was climbing into a tank of starving piranhas. Still, needs must and the tour wasn't going to promote itself. It kicked off in a month in Europe and he needed to sell out arenas at each stop. The album was finally ready to be released and he desperately needed people to like it, if for no other reason that it would validate him. 

Since leaving Vishan in his office two months ago, Jared had struggled. He had zero confidence and his entire existence seemed to revolve around putting on a happy face for the benefit of everyone else. He'd kept his distance from Vandi Films as well, settling for the occasional call with updates from Hayley. He claimed to be busy with the album and it seemed to satisfy her. 

Vishan hadn't contacted him since he left either, which seemed to add insult to injury. He'd seen several interviews and videos of him speaking at various events, looking better than ever. And Adrienne always looked happy in the paparazzi photos he'd glimpse of her in magazines at the check out stand at Trader Joe's.  They seemed to be doing just fine without him. So what else was there to do but focus on himself?

"Jared, we really need you in hair and makeup," the lackey said, reappearing at the door. 

"Right, yeah. On my way," he grunted, standing up and handing Kennon his phone. 

He made his way through the bowels of the sound stage to a room just beside a set of large double doors. He could hear the show being taped through them, cheers and laughter from the audience drifting through the cracks. The room he was ushered into smelled strongly of hairspray and thick theater makeup. He sat in a chair and allowed the stylist to brush out his hair and beard, applying a light gloss. Another woman applied makeup to his face, hiding wrinkles and dark circles under his eyes. 

"Alright," the lackey said, opening the door. "Sarah here has some cupcakes for you to take on with you," he added, motioning to another intern who stood at his shoulder with a plate of decorated cupcakes. "Just present them to Ellen when you come out. They're vegan and all that."

Jared couldn't help but feel like a cow at auction being herded from place to place. He took the plate and held it in one hand away from his shirt. He allowed them to direct him through the double doors and into a darkened back stage area. He passed people with head sets on, focused on the show. Various audio and video equipment lined his path and he relied on the person guiding him. 

"Stand here," a woman said, pointing to an X marked on the floor with glow tape. 

He took his place behind a dark curtain and waited. He could just barely make out Ellen's voice as she chatted with the audience. Suddenly, the audience cheered and the curtain opened and he was momentarily blinded by the studio lights. He plastered on a smile and walked onto the sound stage to deafening cheers. 

***

Three days later, he was sitting outside by the pool, enjoying the sunshine while wrapped in a thick blanket. It was a rare moment of peace for him. Between prep for the tour, finishing the album, and several auditions, he felt like he was barely keeping his head above water. His only consolation was that when he was busy, he couldn't think about Vishan or Adrienne and how much he missed them. 

His phone vibrated on the table next to him and he picked it up, reading the text displayed on the screen. A smile formed on his face and he typed out a reply. Her name was Petra and they'd met at one of the rare parties he'd attended. She was a model hired to fill space and she'd been all too glad to leave with him. For the last few weeks, she'd been his main source of release and relaxation. She paled in comparison to Adrienne in every single way, but at least he wasn't alone anymore. 

"I'm off for the day, Jared," Kennon said, poking her head out of the sliding door behind him. 

"Yeah. See you on Monday," he called back, giving her a wave over his shoulder without looking back. 

He waited until he heard the main door close before standing, stretching, and walking back inside. The heat from the house was a welcome change from the frigid February air. After a trip to grab a warmer sweater and some thick socks, he settled in to the sofa and flipped on the television. On the screen, Vishan was doing a quick interview with a reporter as he walked the press line at an event in Silicon Valley. Sam stood off to the side, checking her phone and glancing back and forth between Vishan and several other reporters down the line. Eventually, she eased him away to the next person. 

A familiar pang of longing twanged in Jared's heart and he bit his lip to force the emotion away. Petra texted him again and he turned his attention to his phone. He typed out an invitation to the model and didn't even set his phone down again before she responded. It was all set: the next morning they'd go on a hike and hopefully by the afternoon, he'd be one step closer to forgetting all about Adrienne and Vishan. 

The next  morning greeted him with bright blue cloudless skies and a gentle breeze. He picked Petra up from her apartment and they drove to Laurel Canyon for an easy hike. He could tell she was struggling to keep up with him, but she never said a word. Her blonde hair glowed in the sunlight and he was glad for the company. He saw the paparazzi as they were walking back to his Bronco in the parking lot, but he didn't care if they took their photos or not. The walk had done little to help him forget Adrienne and Vishan, but he'd at least gotten out of the house for a bit. 

*** GOSSIP BOARD ***

SHAZAM420 POSTED: Saw the new pics of Jared out with a new girl. Looks like they went to Laurel Canyon for a hike. Why is he so damn predictable? I guess he's done with Kiersey and fully moved on?

GUGULETO910 POSTED: That's Petra Nemcova. She's a new model, fresh from Ukraine. She's done a few campaigns for Calvin Klein, Guess, and Chanel. I'm not sure why he'd still be spending time with Kiersey. They split a while ago after press finished. I'm just surprised I haven't seen him out with Adrienne or at that tech conference with Vishan yesterday. The three of them are thick as thieves. 

SHAZAM420 POSTED: I just wish he'd settle down, you know? He's with a different girl all the time. 

LETOGIRL5000 POSTED: With a new tour that's supposed to last most of this year, don't be surprised if he doesn't. He's way too busy to have time for anyone or anything besides the tour and promoting the new album.