Our Bonds Are Stronger Than Blood (Part I)

I remember the day when I saw the forests burn. I was only nine at the time, helping my mom gather herbs from the fields near our house. She was smiling kindly despite the troubles we had and handed me a basket, pointing out the plants I should gather for colds, the ones that would heal wounds, and so on. I was laughing. I wanted to play and be with her at that moment forever and feel the warmth of her hugs, the gentleness of her fingers caressing my hair.

Then the vampires came. They came like an army, like a shadow of death. Their speed and strength and stealth outperformed any human. We were no match for them. Even with our men's skills and weapons and their bravery, their vows to protect what is dear, they were treated like playthings, slaughtered and drained of their blood before even getting close, corpses and final prayers tossed onto the bloodstained grass. My dad, who joined the people defending our village, was one of the first to die. My mom later buried him next to the herbs she planted.

So while they killed and destroyed, crushing men and women like how humans crushed spiders, my mom did the sensible thing. She took my arm and ran. We ran straight into the woods, ran until there was nowhere else to run, for there was nothing but darkness and she was scared about getting lost. We stayed cuddled there for a while, my mom wrapping me in her warm embrace, trying to convince that everything was safe.

They massacred everyone who rose against them. Then the villagers who were left, mostly women and children, would be forced to surrender, for they have no more will nor strength left. We knew this because that's what they said when they gathered on the outskirts of our safe forest, saying that they would burn it and for everyone who was hiding inside to come out. When no one did, they set fires in several bushes, and let the scattered leaves and twigs act as their fuse. Smoke clogged our entryway, threatening to choke our lungs. I was crying and they, with their supernatural hearing, probably heard my cries. My mom had no choice.

When we came out, some of the vampires were laughing. Others, I remember, had gleaming eyes. I'm not sure. I was too scared. I hid behind mom the whole time, hoping they would not kill us on a whim.

We saw other families come out of the woods too: those crying, holding their children and loved ones close, shaking with fear and madness. The vampires herded them out, as though they were sheep to be slaughtered. The trees glowed brightly as they were burned. Smoke rose from their leaves while flames danced and cracked like gods in the skies high above us, dyeing the evening light with orange nothingness. I remember hearing faint screams in the distance. They must have been people who didn't have enough time to escape. Or maybe they would rather die gruesomely than to submit to their vampire masters. Sometimes I wonder if we trespass through that forest now, we would find bones hidden beneath the soil and vegetation, their owners vanished and forgotten.

Then they branded us. Everyone ages fourteen and above had to wear the tattoo scorched into their skin, labeling us with our own id number. I was only nine, so I didn't have to wear one. Those who did were instructed to have blood taken from them every month and sent to the new masters.

They selected people to become slaves. Most of them looked relatively young but were still older than me. Several resisted, and their families resisted. They were quickly reminded of their place. There were a lot of tears shed, promises made and broken, laughs from the vampires as humans were dragged away in chains, heads hung down in resignation. Maybe the world hadn't changed that day, but mine sure did. Because even now, I feel the fear of everything dear to me that could be snatched, of everything being rendered insignificant. But I also feel the fury of smoking flames, ashes raining like snow into the stormy night.

Now I'm older and more knowledgeable than before, but not by much. If I am, part of me wouldn't still be withholding onto such childish dreams that I know could never come to blossom. If I am, I would accept to only navigate through the limits of this cruel world and chill the fire burning inside of me that's threatening to overtake the ice.

I think this as I stand here, feeling naked despite wearing my faded shirt and pants. They come to observe me and the other girls, discussing amongst themselves who's the prettiest, the tastiest, the most valuable, as though in my place there only remains empty air, not a teenager capable of understanding everything they say. Sometimes I have the crazy idea to creep up behind one and murder them, even if that meant I'd get murdered myself. But then my mom wouldn't have anyone to heal her illness, nor would there be money to take care of my family. The vamps are my only chance of accomplishing that, even if it means selling myself to them, as disgusting as that sounds. I am not going to let my hate overwhelm what I need most.

I stare at the floor for another hour. For another three. Five. It has been a week already and I feel desperate. I know my mom is still at home, most likely weak and vulnerable, my aunts and uncles unable to take care of her without food or money to buy medicine. Maybe I've made my price too high. I'm only a human girl and I don't know how much my body is worth. If I put it down to ten grams, maybe eight, would anyone buy me, then?

"Excuse me."

I startle at the sound, for it felt close to me, and look up.

It's a vampire, with stern eyes that shone black in midnight and elegant robes that blended in with the darkness like a royal spirit. Even though he hasn't moved, I could sense power in that lean body of his, the same power that destroyed my village that fateful night.

He cocks his head to examine me, still not smiling. His lips move in soft murmur. Then, he looks up at the auctioneer.

"I'll buy her for fourteen grams. Please give the money to her family."

He drops golden and silver coins into its hand and leaves there with me close behind, holding my chain in that pale fist. My heart pounds, wondering about what to do, what will happen from then on. Before I know it, he throws me into a cage and darkness closes in around me.