Prologue

Prologue

I placed the radio device down onto the ground, my fingers fumbling for the broadcast button. I finally got to chance to press the button gently, as all of my movements had to be subtle and discreet so that I wouldn't attract them.

I cleared my throat softly, knowing that they could barely hear as well as we humans could, and that the only thing they were good at was spotting their prey. They had eyesight sharper than that of an owl, and just one unnatural or jarring movement coming from my friends or me would mark the end for us.

Finally, I began to speak.

"It's been days since their attack on us had begun, since the very moment that they had declared war on us. And it is unfortunate for me to say that we are losing. We don't know them, but they know us. We don't know what they want, but they know it best themselves," I enunciated.

I cleared my throat once again, this time as I was nervous and not because my voice was becoming hoarse.

"The torture of constantly being on our feet, seeking refuge somewhere within our torn city has been paining all three of us, but we don't have a choice," I continued on. "Every time we push our way through the citadels sitting in the shadows, ready to be spotlighted on and destroyed, we will always end out rushing back out to the open again. And seeing how things are going now, no one is going to help us but ourselves. That, however, won't sustain us for long. Eventually, we'll run out of places to hide in. We'll ultimately succumb to those beings while running in the street. In the fullness of time, we'll lose hope on surviving, and wither away like millions of others have done here."

I paused and sighed for a moment, imagining how dull and stupid I sounded. However, I knew it was my only hope—our only hope, so I didn't stop there.

"The government has long given up on us. They barricaded all routes out of this wretched city, so they we can't leave. They tried keeping us in to use us as bait to lure them here. To contain them here, and try killing them while they were here. But their attempt to win the battle failed so miserably the moment they turned the tables on us and brought in their own forces to annihilate us. And so they left us here to fight for ourselves," I reiterated what had happened in the past days. "The support from foreign countries has died down ever since they started worrying for their own ones. And the fact that there are still survivors here is slowly fading away as people begin to think that no one can live in such a situation."

I began to break down in tears, knowing that that was the only way out of the inundated city. And if no one came to help, then it will be end for survivors like us.

"So we are begging you. If you have the capability of rescuing us, then please, do just that. Help us out of here. Please."