Chapter 7: Veto

Chapter 7: Veto

Just before the nearest monster could slip its skinny body through the doorway, the doors shut close, keeping them out for that moment. They didn't give up, obviously. They continuously slammed on the windows and walls vigorously, trying to break in.

"Jake, they're trying to get in!" I updated him as he continued focusing on moving the train. "Hurry!"

"I'm trying! I'm almost done! I just need to get this started!" he yelled back, flicking some more switches.

Meanwhile, glass began to shatter as the aliens easily punched holes through the windows. Fragments of glass shattered inwards, pouring into the cabin. We were only a few feet away from the broken glass, so I grabbed Zoe's hand and pulled her along with me.

"We have to move," I told her. "We'll go to the end of the train, where Jake is."

After much running, we leaned against the very end of the frontmost carriage, against the operator room door. I stared forward, at the claws of the beasts that they were using to pull themselves through into the cabin.

"What are we going to do? They're getting in!" Zoe panicked, turning away from the sight of the intruding creatures.

I didn't know how to respond to her. I still had my rifle, but there wasn't enough ammunition to kill the dozens of aliens. I couldn't do much more than shoot down those which threatened our safety. Jake was the only one who could save us. Jake had to get to train moving.

"There! I'm done! It's moving now!" Jake shouted over as the vehicle finally moved forward.

I was so relieved to finally get out of the invaded train station. And I was glad to finally be heading back to the apartment. However, all that joy was short-lived. As soon as I heard a loud thumping sound, I turned around to look at the source of the sound.

An alien had gotten into the train.

It began making awful shrieking sounds again, and I could hear its breathing so intently. Zoe turned as well to see what was going on. To her horror, it was an alien.

"Sweet Moses! It got in!" she screamed in fright as she tried to inch back further. However, we already as far as we could be, and couldn't move back further. "Let's all get into the operator room with Jake," she suggested.

"You go in," I told her, opening the door to the room.

Jake glanced over. "What's going on—oh my gosh! It's... in here?" he screamed as soon as he noticed the alien that was thirty feet in front of us.

"Get in. I'll settle it," I said to Zoe once again, before shoving her into the room with her fiancé.

I closed the door behind me, keeping my two friends safe from the vicious creature. Meanwhile, I wielded my rifle, ready to shoot at the hostile monster if it dared to attack. I could feel my teeth chattering—it was clear that fear was inevitable. Sweat also began trickling down my forehead, proving that I was clearly nervous.

But being afraid of such a monstrous and alien being wasn't unusual. After all, who wouldn't be intimidated by it. However, I reminded myself not to let the fear paralyse me. I mustered my courage, standing upright and strong against the beast.

It seemed to glare at me, but wasn't motivated to attack me. It just approached me slowly, not rushing anything at all. I cocked the gun, prepared to shoot it right in its eyes. Once again, it didn't seem very eager to attack me, seeing how it kept its claws by its side and moved very steadily.

All of a sudden, it began picking up its pace and started walking over briskly. Knowing that it was now or never, I placed my finger on the trigger, ready to shoot. And then, it began sprinting towards me. I closed my eyes, clicking the trigger.