Chapter 23 - With this ring ('18)

Waverly could feel herself shivering. The night air had a sharp bite to it, piercing her clothing as she stood listening to the bands perform, tiredness and a little too much alcohol all contributing. Beyond all the physical reasons, her own body was reacting to the words Nicole was saying.

She buried her head in Nicole's shoulder, knowing what she was being told changed their relationship. Made it into something. More than simply being about sex, without commitment of any kind. A meeting of their bodies, never their souls. Now Nicole was bearing her soul to her, in the middle of a muddy field, at night, with all the noise and craziness surrounding her revelation. Her awakening to love.

Nicole moved Waverly's body away from her. "Waves. I see you. I do. You're the first person I've ever seen like this. You're incredible. Truly incredible."

Waverly wanted to dismiss the moment, make light of it, terrified of the true meaning Nicole's words carried. She felt hands grip ever more tightly round her shoulders, wanting space, wanting time to process without the haze of alcohol fogging her mind. Without the rawness of those words hitting her heart for the first time.

She pushed herself away, turning, not looking back, making her way through the crowd. She knew Nicole was following. She could feel her, feel the movement behind her own body. She simply needed a moment to collect herself. A hand reached out, pulling on her. Nicole's. She allowed it to be there, her new role acting as a guide to where they would go. The crowd thinned, the pair joined by hands moving towards a space free of others, Waverly walking them back to their yurt, in silence, hoping it would be quieter to talk.

Finding their tent, Waverly dragged Nicole inside, making sure the entrance was closed, the need to say anything more passing, pulling Nicole into the kiss that would seal their lives. Together. She wanted this. She wanted a life with Nicole, wherever that took her, whatever that entailed. Even while she knew this girl was trouble, even while she knew she could disappear when it suited her, leaving her hanging. All those details no longer mattered because Nicole loved her.

She felt Nicole's body move into hers, the two of them dancing towards the bed, ready to be together. She hoped the others would be slow in returning to their tents nearby, allowing them their own time to explore their newly realised intimacy, to do what they were desperate to do with each other.

The music stopped shortly after midnight. The lovers were already asleep in each other's arm by then, oblivious to the noise of their returning party. That is until Wynonna rocked up. She was the most vocal, demanding she check Waverly was in her tent, Chrissy advising she might be, given Nicole was missing too, Wynonna adamant she needed to see her little sister.

"Waves. Waves. You in there. You decent."

"Shush," Chrissy said. "You'll wake everyone up."

"Waves. I'm going to say goodnight. I'm in my tent if you need me. Where is my tent?"

"Wynonna," Chrissy begged. "You're with me. This way."

"I need to see Waves. Waves, can I come in?"

Waverly stirred, half listening to the commotion outside, wondering if it was a dream. It all felt like a dream. She had everything she wanted, right there, in her arms. Snuggled into her body. The world was perfect. Well, almost perfect, her sister's persistence in making sure she was alright the only irritation in an otherwise perfect moment. "Wyn, go to bed, it's late," she called out. "And, drink plenty of water. Love you."

"Waves, I love you too. I'm going to bed now. Chrissy, stop pulling me. Is there booze in our tent?"

The campsite was quiet for most of the morning. Very few early risers after a hard night of partying. Nicole was snoring, her body half covered by the duvet and throws, Waverly wondering why she hadn't frozen to death. She bundled herself up in all the available bedding, shivering, needing warmth, her body not comfortable with being this cold. Her feet found Nicole's calves, placing them on her, waking Nicole immediately.