CHAPTER ONE: THERE IS ONLY TIME

Time. Only time will tell. Wars are fought throughout time, as time goes on we begin to forget…. what about mentality? How does the war affect the soldiers mentality? What about their families? In the end, something has to give. 

Placing down her pen she looked at her writing, the ideas she had seemed to flow onto the page, but the questions and things she posed were close to her heart. Closing her notebook she leant back against the seat, her head resting on the headrest. Looking up at the ceiling she began to think back, her life was rough...tough...something she didn’t want anyone else going through, her own children would be shadowed from the life she had and the life she wishes to lead. In her own little world she jumped when she heard the clanging of dishes next to her, looking towards the sound she smiled when she was met by a set of beautiful brown eyes. 

“I tried to be quiet….”

“I know, honey. I know.” Gingerly she ran her fingers down his cheek, she got lost in his eyes more times than she could count, she hummed softly as he leant into her touch. Pulling her fingers away she placed her notebook down on the table beside her, standing up she held her hand out to him. Continuing her humming she watched as he stood, the dishes now back in their position, as their fingers intertwined she rested her head on his shoulder. His hands now flat against her back, she continued the song, the humming causing them both to rock back and forth. A rhythmic movement that they both achieved over and over again. Closing her eyes she got lost in the movement, the whole experience settling his and her nerves, they worked well together. Hand in hand, the way lovers should be…….

But how did we get here? How did life become so perfect after so much torment? Shall I share or would you become bored of my rambling? You decide. I need to get this off my chest, you’re my notebook after all….

The screams of children filled her ears as she tried to read, the tree above her giving ample cover from the sun beaming down onto the earth below. Furrowing her brow she looked up to see her younger sister running around, screaming in delight as the family dog chased her around the backyard. Sighing, Theo looked down at her book ….lets try this again…. staring at the words on the page she groaned, none of it was making sense, the letters all jumbled into one. Closing her book she got up from under the tree and headed towards the backdoor to complain to her mother, suddenly it went quiet. Turning around she looked to see where her sister was…..nowhere. Theo’s breathing hitched as she dropped her book and ran towards the tree where she was, looking around the tree she began to panic….her sister must be hiding somewhere else. That's it…..right? 

Swallowing the lump in her throat she ran around the backyard, still not seeing her sister she yelled for her mother. “MUM! MUM!” Her mother came bounding out of the house heading straight for her, Theo looked up at her mum, she was tired….a tired woman who worked too hard and got nothing in return. “She’s gone! Sis is gone!” As she looked at her mother she began to realise what had just happened. 

Squatting down her mother grabbed her shoulders, “honey, we’ve talked about this. Your sister passed away seven years ago, do you remember how we found out?”

Theo stayed silent, not daring to say a thing. She didn’t want to upset her mother anymore, nor upset herself. But it may have been too late for that...

“The doctor told us she went to heaven to see grandpa and grandma, it wasn’t her time to see us.” 

Theo looked down at her hands, the feeling of bringing her mother out when all her mum wanted to do was crash upset her, she shouldn’t have said anything…. she should have left it alone, as if her mother could read her mind, her sweet voice singing in her ears. “It’s not your fault, it never was and it never will be. I love you, Theo.”

“I love you too, mum…..” Looking back up at her mum she wrapped her arms around her neck, the now twelve year old still struggled to come to terms with the loss of her sister. But she knew her sister was with her, and grew up with her….

As the sun began to hide Theo lay on the floor in the lounge room, her eyes focused on the homework before her. Sighing her face planted into the work, her motivation running thin as she tried her hardest to forget the things of today, however the sound of little footsteps bounded down the hallway. Lifting her head she saw her sister again, the little steps echoed through the house, this was something she wished to forget - however she would hear it for the rest of her life.

Closing her eyes she rested her head in her hands, the thought of seeing her sister again was the hardest thing she had ever gone through. The sight of her in the dress her mother had bought her for when she grew made Theo begin to cry, her sister was gone. Theo wore that dress a few years after her sister's passing, her mother told her she looked beautiful in it, but after that day she never wore it again. She refused to wear it. 

Feeling a hand on her back she looked up to see her mother crouching next to her stroking her back gently, “it’s time for bed, sweetheart.” Nodding Theo got up from her position, and headed down the hallway towards her bedroom. As she approached her room she heard the sound of humming coming from the office next to her room, sighing as she walked into her room and got changed. Lying in her bed she looked at the ceiling waiting for her mother to walk into her room. 

Hearing her mum’s slow steps Theo rolled over so she could look at her mum, seeing her mum poke her head around the door she couldn’t help but chuckle. As her mum sat on the edge of the bed Theo looked into her mother’s eyes, no words were needed. They knew. They both heard it too. All too soon her mother left after saying goodnight and giving Theo all the butterfly kisses she desired. Closing her eyes she tried her hardest to tune out the sound of the humming, but in the end - she ended up humming the tune herself.

My life is not perfect, but is anyones? Some people may appear perfect on the surface but really they have given up - does this remind you of someone?

The swaying stopped momentarily but she continued her humming, her eyes shot open as she heard a deeper hum. Looking up she saw Murdock looking down at her, his lovely brown eyes calling to her, soon they both began humming together. Their tune not faltering, it was only then that she realised how often she hummed that tune, her sister had left more of a mark than she had realised - and now she was engraving this tune into Murdock, something she did not want to do, but she unwittingly did so.