CHAPTER ELEVEN

Titan's POV!

I sprinted across the stones and leaped off the terrace, following Goliath into the night sky. She spread her wings, allowing the currents of the night air, lifting her up into the sky. Titan looked down at the city as it spread out below her, and Goliath drifted close to her. His dark hair flying in the wind as he spoke,

"How are you feeling? Sore?"

Titan's head turned to him, then to her long wings as she spoke quietly, "A little stiff, but . . ." she gave them a small flap, "I am doing better than I was." she said in a hushed voice.

Goliath watched her hardened features, feeling the wind tousle his long hair as he sighed. The Clan leader looked down to the city below them and watched the people walk down the streets. He then got an idea and his expression brightened, "Follow me." he shifted his position, catching a new current and veering off in a different direction.

Titan cocked her head, but changed her course and flew after him, "Where are we going?" she asked, arching a confused brow.

"You shall see soon enough," Goliath replied as he swooped down low, under the building line. I watched with a concerned expression, but I let myself drop down beside him. I looked over at the larger male and spoke, "Shouldn't we stay above the buildings? Away from humans?" I asked.

"Normally, I would agree," Goliath looked over, smiling gently, "but the humans in Manhattan no longer view us as monsters. We are welcomed here."

I blinked numbly, as I turned my gaze down to the streets below us, "Forgive me for not taking your word for it." I murmured.

Goliath looked me over with a mixture of empathy and concern, before he sighed, "We are almost there." he said.

Titan followed him to Central Park and landed beside Goliath amongst the tall trees and soft, damp grass. Titan was quick to fold her wings around herself like a cloak, and Goliath did the same. Titan looked around as she spoke, "What is this place?" she asked him.

"This is Central Park," Goliath said as he walked along one of the many concrete paths, lined with street lights, "located in the center of Manhattan."

Titan sniffed the air as she walked beside him, her long tail dragging behind her like a ball and chain, "It is beautiful." she muttered as she walked with him.

Goliath spoke again, "I know this isn't the world you left, and it is new and intimidating," he turned to her, "but we are there to help you adjust, Titan. Don't forget that."

I felt my heartbeat quicken at his kind words. His face was broad and powerful, with kind eyes and an even kinder smile. I reached up and touched a rogue strand of my silver hair with my claw as I spoke, "Thank you, Goliath."

We walked through the park, enjoying the sounds of the night and the whimsical glow of the street lights that illuminated the darkness for us. There was a coolness to the air that kept the air crisp. A light breeze often swept down the path, refreshing my nose with new smells and keeping my rough skin tingly and awake.

It was some time before Goliath spoke again, and by now we were sitting nearby one of the many lakes, admiring the moon's reflection upon the water. Goliath spoke in a hushed tone as he stared at his own reflection, "You said you helped in the American Revolution, yes?"

"It was the last thing I did before I went into slumber," I replied as I kept staring at the dark water as it lazily lapped at the shore, nearly touching the claws on my feet.

"Why did you go into that slumber? And how?" Goliath pressed.

"I have my reasons," I retorted curtly, "and there were plenty of witches or warlocks in that era who could create a potion or spell to bind a Gargoyle to its stone form," I added.

There was a beat of silence from Goliath, seemingly a moment of hesitation, before he spoke again, this time more hushed and kind, "Why did you force yourself into stone?" he asked.

I felt my chest tighten at his words, and I looked over at him, "I uh . . ." I bit my lower lip, "it's . . . Once I was done with my battles, I felt . . . I felt like I had nothing left to do . . ." I sighed, "I wasn't needed anymore." I whipered.

"You cannot honestly beleive that . . ." Goliath reached up and gently rested his hand on my shoulder.

His hand was strong and heavy, as he stared into my eyes with empathy.

I did everything I could to avoid his gaze.