Chapter 38

Written 7/3/21

"This is only going to make things worse." I say as tears well in my eyes.

"If this goes the way we want it to, this war will end, and the Genovese won't be a problem anymore. If the Head of the Genovese wants his child and his mistress back, we can make him dismantle his entire empire." Cristiano says.

"And what if he doesn't? What if he just doesn't care? He could just go off and produce another heir!" I say, my voice wavering as I tried to hold back my tears.

"I don't need you to question my methods Gia, I know what I'm doing."

There was a long moment of silence between us. I stared into his eyes, and I saw something in them. Something that terrified me.

"Y-you're going to kill them aren't you?" I ask in a voice so low, I could barely hear myself.

He didn't speak, but his face said everything. It didn't matter what Vincenzo did, Cristiano was going to kill them regardless. Right now when I looked into his eyes, all I could see was something hateful, something evil.

"I'm done with this conversation, we're leaving." He says, grabbing my arm. I yank myself away from him.

"I don't want to go home with you." I say, backing away.

He stares at me angrily for a moment. The guards around us were starting to stare. I didn't care, I didn't even want to be in the same room, let alone a car with him.

"Fine, I'll send another car to take you home." He says, then walks away. He was clearly still pissed, and I was probably going to be put through hell as soon as I got home, but at least right now I didn't have to be suffocated by him.

I stand there looking at the door, thinking about the two people behind it. Could they really be as evil as Cristiano thought they were? Of course not. A little boy who could barely  even speak a word couldn't be responsible for his fathers behavior. And the mistress? She had no more control over her life than I did.

My conscience was screaming at me. Do the right thing. I look around, there were 2 guards on the floor. There was no way I could convince them to let her go, let alone overpower them. It would take a miracle for me to be able to get ahold of the key.

Suddenly a loud ringing bellowed in my my ears. I quickly realized it was an alarm, and covered my ears. One of the guards pulls out a small two-way radio. I can hear faint yelling from the radio.

"We will be right down." The guard says urgently, and motions for the other guard to come with him as he heads towards the stairs. He stops just before leaving.

"Donna, there's been an emergency downstairs, all units have been called downstairs, stay up here until you know that it's safe." He says, then both guards run down the stairs.

I carefully walk down to the end of the hall. There is a rack of keys hanging off a hook on the wall. I scoffed. The guards really just hung those up on the wall? It was like they were begging for people to escape. I quickly grabbed the keys, and looked at each one as I walked to the end of the hall. I didn't know how much time I had, and I was starting to panic a little.

I started to just try all the keys, and see which one fit through the lock. Finally, after trying 4 or 5 keys, one worked. I hesitated before opening the door. Thinking of all that might happen to me if I did this. Was it really worth it? I'd probably be killed after Cristiano found out. But maybe that was it? Maybe I wanted to die.

I stopped asking myself questions, and opened the door. The woman had the same scared expression on her face, her cheeks were wet with tears. Her face turns to a scared confusion, and she holds her son tightly.

"Cosa-cosa stai facendo?" (Wh-what are you doing) She asks, clearly terrified. I sighed, realizing she probably didn't speak any English.

"Ti sto tirando fuori di qui." (I'm getting you out of here) I say.

She looks at me distrustfully. She slowly gets up off the floor, holding the boy against her chest. She walks out of her cell, and down the hallway.

"Dove sono le guardie?" (Where are the guards) She asks.

"C'è stata un'emergenza nel seminterrato, non hai molto tempo per uscire." (There was an emergency in the basement, you don't have much time to get out) I say.

She nods at me. Then runs to the end of the hallway, and down the stairs. I had no idea if she'd even make it out of the building, or how far she'd get if she did. All I knew is that I did what was right.

I close the cell door, and take the key out. I hand the keys back on the wall. At least if they don't catch her running away, they won't know she's gone until they open the door.  

A few minutes later the guards come back upstairs. And not long after that my car gets here.

On the ride home I felt sick to my stomach. I felt like I was driving home toward my impending doom. All of the sudden I was filled with regret. I felt guilty, and I felt scared. It was at this moment that I knew, I didn't want to die. But after what I had done, there was no getting out of it.

i just know y'all are gonna be pisssed with me for this chapter 😬