4

The next fortnight is a flurry of wedding preparations. Cake-tasting, taking measurements and planning occupy your every waking thought.

You don't see Yoonoh again after the event at the park, nor Doyoung, but you suppose the latter is too busy discussing plans with your father.

For some reason, the two of you are granted a special wedding licence, enabling you to marry within the upcoming week. They're usually only granted on special occasions so you can't help but wonder if your family's reputation has anything to do with it.

In some way, you are thankful for the accelerated process, because it means you don't have time to think everything through, to get lost in your emotions as you find yourself doing so often these days. It's always uncomfortable when the maids come in and find you with tears running down your cheeks. Sometimes you wonder if Doyoung has told everyone of what happened during the walk, because you're often treated as if you were a glass statue about to shatter.

Despite there being no connection between you and Doyoung, the one thing you both have in common is that you have no interest in planning the wedding.

With Yoonoh, you had imagined it to be a huge event taking place near your childhood home. You would probably get married in the church you frequented as a child, in front of family and friends, before spending the reception in the gardens. After that, the two of you would have embarked to the Jung Manor, your new home.

Now, it is up to your mother to arrange everything.

"And here," she beams at you, "is the dress!"

The two of you are in the living room with the modiste, who watches you two with a quiet assurance about her, confident you will like the dress.

And you do. It is so white it's blinding, with your favourite pearls embroidered around the bosom and down the sleeves. The sewing is just exquisite, creating a modest piece tailored to your every curve and when you reach out to feel the material, it is silky and cool beneath your touch, a blanket of wealth, maturity and gracefulness.

It brings tears to your eyes, ones your mother mistakes for happiness as she throws her arms around you in joy. The modiste takes the dress back with a satisfied smile on her face.

"It's beautiful." You choke out, overcome with emotion.

If only it were a different occasion.

"I'm glad you like it," your mother cups your cheeks happily, tears of her own suddenly sprouting. "You'll look stunning in it."

-

The wedding takes place in London with a small church hosting the ceremony and a neighbouring hall accommodating the reception.

A close-knit group of family and friends are invited. Cousins from both sides of your family turn up and embrace you happily. Grandparents marvel at what a fine choice of man you have selected, and not a whisper of Jung Yoonoh or Sara Kobayashi leaves anyone's lips.

Interestingly, no-one attends on Doyoung's side. The only information you have on him is that his parents are no longer with the living, courtesy of your mother, but it takes you by surprise when not even a single friend shows up.

The actual ceremony is a whirlwind of memory, reminding you very vaguely of a piano recital you'd performed at when you were young. The experience was so nerve-wracking you simply banished the recollection from memory. It's no different here, the only exception being with this occasion there is simply nothing worth remembering.

But no matter how much you were dreading your wedding day, what comes after could only be much worse.

Settled in the carriage with Doyoung, wiping away the last tears- a reminder of your goodbyes to your parents, you head to the other side of London to the Kim House, your new home.