1 - The Road Trip

࿐ྂ CHAPTER PLAYLIST ࿐ྂ

    ⠀⠀» [Bloom - The Paper Kites] « ⠀⠀
    ⠀ ⠀ 0:39 ─〇───── 2:50 ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀   ⠀⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻

    ⠀ ⠀» [Cherry Wine - Hozier] « ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀
        0:40 ─〇───── 3:19⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀    ⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻

  CHAPTER 1 - THE ROAD TRIP °•*

            (WIRT'S POV)

"Mom, did we really have to go on this road trip?" I groaned, looking out the window of our silver Honda Civic. I watched the road race opposite of the car's motion.

"Of course, Wirt. It's important — we're bonding together as a family! And we're having fun!" Mom cheered, elbowing my step-dad.

"Yeah!" Greg squealed. "And I brought Jason Funderburker!" The frog croaked loudly, piercing my ears a bit. "Awh, are you hungry Mr. Funderburker? I'm sure there will be plenty of flies in Oregon." Greg smiled as he made Jason Funderburker "dance" by moving the frog's arms and legs while attempting to beatbox a song.

"Gravity Falls is on the board, kids!" My step-dad announced, swerving to the exit as the luggage in the trunk slammed into the side of the car.

I sighed and rested my head on the window. We were spending our entire summer in the middle of Oregon since my Mom saw it on some pamphlet. She told me there were lots of attractions and sights to see, which I didn't really care about. Frankly, I wasn't excited for much since Sara and I had broken up. Ultimately, it was my decision, though.

Sara and I had gotten together just after Greg and I got out of the hospital, but things between us were pretty awkward. We liked each other, but I was struggling mentally from the whole situation a whole bunch. I cared about her a lot, and I told her about what happened, but she didn't believe me. Who was I kidding, though? Who would believe that Greg and I journeyed with a talking bird in some sort of fairytale land that was haunted by The Beast? We sounded delirious.

It still hurt, though... knowing that Sara didn't believe me. I thought we trusted each other, and of all people I believed she would understand. I poured my heart out to her; I opened myself up. Mixtape after mixtape, poem after poem — it cut deep hearing the words "I don't believe you."

I tried long and hard insisting to her that it was true, but you can't change the way people are. I would do anything to show her something to prove that what had happened was real — I would take her into The Unknown if I could. But, if she was the one, she would've trusted me from the start.

I was zoning out in my melancholic thoughts as I listened to music with my earbuds when Greg tugged on my shirt.

"Wirt!" He shouted, causing Mom to shush him, scared he would distract my step-dad.

"What is it, Greg?" I asked, taking out an earbud.

"Look! There's a painting of a muffin on the tower!" Greg smiled, proud of his discovery.

"I think that's meant to be an explosion, Greg." I corrected him.

"Nope!" He shot back. "Definitely a muffin."

I sighed, admitting "defeat" as we pulled into an old cabin by a waterfall.

"Whoa..." All of us said in unison, taking in the view of the water pouring into the lake.

"A beat up shack!" Greg cheered, staring in the complete opposite direction of everyone else.

"Huh?" I replied, turning my head in the direction of Greg's. I followed his gaze to see a huge cabin just a bit farther down the road of ours. It read "Mystery Hack." (I assumed it was meant to say "Shack," since the "S" was laying on the bottom half of the roof.)

"Wow, that sign needs some TLC." My Mom laughed. "Isn't this fun, kids?"

We got out of the car and brought our bags into the small cabin. I figured Greg and I would have to share a room given the size. The wooden cabin had a small patio on the outside, with a staircase in the middle to get to the door. My mom stepped up and unlocked the door with the key she was given. Greg and I looked at each other in anticipation. Greg's being out of presumable excitement, and mine being out of anxiety.

The inside was a bit dusty, but nothing terrible. On the left was a small living area, and on the right was the kitchen. The kitchen was small, but still nice — it had everything you'd need. Straight down the hall was 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. I brought my stuff into the bedroom with two loft beds, and began unpacking. Greg placed Jason Funderburker on his dresser and let him hop around.

I brought some posters of mine to make the room more lively, given the fact that I'd be spending the whole summer in the cabin. I unpacked my CD player and a bunch of music I had brought. After unpacking everything, I sighed a wave of relief.

"Kids! Lunch is ready!" Mom shouted from the kitchen. Greg ran to the kitchen, and I followed slowly behind him. "Chicken tenders and fries!" I thanked her, and ate my lunch quickly. 

"Mom! Can I go outside?" Greg asked. "Jason wants to journey outside."

"Of course, just be back by dinner." Mom answered.

"Thanks!" Greg giggled and bolted out of the cabin.

"Do you want to go outside too, Wirt?" Mom asked me.

"I'm not sure.." I answered.

"Wirt, you're going to have to make friends here." She took my plate and began to wash it in the sink.

"Alright, alright..." I nodded, then went in my room to get dressed. I looked out the window, the "Mystery Hack" in clear view. I saw a crowd of people looking towards an old man on a stage. He had an eyepatch and a full suit on. He was showing off some sort of rock collection with faces carved into them — I had no idea why the audience was so enamored. On the side of the shack was a tall red-head girl with a green flannel, boots, and jeans.

There was also a girl with a pink sweater with a rainbow on it wearing some sort of earrings made of nachos. She was talking to this boy with a blue pine tree hat, blue puffy jacket, bright orange shirt and brunette fluffy hair. All of them seemed fun to hangout with.

"If only I was good at making friends..." I sighed, getting changed into my beige sweater. I fixed my hair up and went outside.

"Maybe I could find a way to talk to them." I reassured myself.