6 - Back to the Shack

࿐ྂ CHAPTER PLAYLIST ࿐ྂ

» [Phoenix - Slaughter Beach, Dog] «
0:03 〇───── 2:39 ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹

» [Homage - Mile High Club] «
0:02 〇───── 2:53 ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹

CHAPTER 6 - BACK TO THE SHACK °•*

WIRT'S POV:
Dipper and I had been playing mini golf together for not too long when we decided to ditch it to talk and get ice cream. Talking seemed to be more our speed, for taking a look at either of us could draw one to the conclusion that we did not like physical activity. We were talking about our types, when I almost accidentally revealed my inevitable — possible — romantic interest in men. I hoped to God Dipper did not hear me, or just disregarded it, since I didn't want to make him uncomfortable.

What if he thought I liked him? How would he react to that? Would he be disgusted? Would he treat me differently? Would we lose our friendship? All these thoughts crowded around my head like a swarm of bees, pulling me away from reality at a rapid pace. I tried to ground myself and just pay more attention to the conversation I was having with Dipper. I had given him some advice — that being it's better to wait for the right person rather than rushing into a relationship.

"Yeah..." He trailed off. He looked perplexed. He was always so deep in thought; it was almost hard to tell how serious the contents of which he was thinking were. I had seen this look many times even in a day, for he was always contemplating the variables of every minor decision he'd make — a man after my own heart, an over-thinker.

"Everything okay, Dipper?" I asked. "I'm really sorry if I said something wrong, I didn't mean to hur-"

Dipper cut me off, finally gaining confidence. "I know you said that- you- well... that you didn't feel that things were right with your previous girlfriend. But- do you think you're like, interested in being with someone else?" He looked at me, a glimmer in his gaze.

I loved it when he was ambitious — he was such a genuine person, and you could always tell when he was passionate. He had such a soft, wholesome way about him. It gave me this urge to want to protect him from all of the dangers of life; to be the shield that keeps him safe.

I was so lost in observation that I nearly forgot to respond to his question. Processing what he had just said sent me into a spiral of deep thought. Flirting? Maybe? What? Does he want to date me? Does he know someone who wants to? Is he just curious? Why do I care so much about what he thinks? Do I "LIKE, LIKE" him??? Whatttttt??? Whatwhatwhatwhwath
Wirt, please calm down. I took a deep breath. I decided to just answer the question that was prompted, and not over complicate it. "I would love to be in a relationship with someone else." I answered.

"Me too... I really want someone who will go on adventures with me, someone who's as curious as me." Dipper sighed.

"You and your sister seem to go on a lot of journeys together." I added.

"Yeah, but she, just, has this uncanny ability to just be okay with all of the strange, unexplainable things around her and never seems to want answers. She finds comfort in chaos, whilst I want to explore why it's occurring, you know?" I nodded patiently, letting him discuss his stream of consciousness. He continued on. "I know a lot of answers to the things that happened last Summer, but there's so much in this town, Wirt. Don't unanswered questions just drive you crazy?"

Yes, unanswered questions did, in fact, drive me crazy. It was ironic of him to say that considering he had sparked a variety of questions within me. I couldn't tell if him opening up about himself so deeply to me was a sign of platonic or romantic affection and it was driving me insane. Was he trying to start something with me, or was he just messing with me? He didn't seem like the type to do that, but nonetheless, my mind wandered. "Yeah," I spoke up after a bit of delay, "I always try to draw my own conclusions."

"Wirt! Wirt!" I heard a familiar young voice call, followed by frantic footsteps. I looked over in the horizon to see Greg running towards me with Soos following behind him.

"Greg!" I smiled. "What's up?"

"I beat Soos at mini golf!" Greg cheered triumphantly, his hands on his hips.

"This little dude is a machine." Soos bragged. "He might even be able to beat Pacifica if he keeps practicing."

To this, Dipper scoffed. I looked up at the sky, noticing the sun was starting to set. "Oh man, my mom must really want us home by now -- I was technically supposed to be home my dinner." I admitted.

"No problem, dude-bro! We got you." Soos reassured me. He then gathered everyone, and we once again piled into the golf cart. Greg once again sat on Mabel's lap, bragging about his mini golf skills.

"Maybe one day you'll be as good as me, kid." Mabel exclaimed, crossing her hands behind her head as she talked herself up.

I laughed, and then realized I had been sitting with my arms crossed. I tried not to come off as insecure, but I always ended up doing it anyways. I began to uncross them and put my hands to my side when my right hand briefly brushed against Dipper's. I pulled away in shock and moved my hand to my thigh. After my mini-heart attack, I realized that Dipper didn't even move his hand the entire time.  Oh?

I spent the rest of the ride listening to everyone else chat as I let my brain wander, as usual. We pulled into their "driveway" -- a little dirt path formed from all of the tire marks, and we all hopped out. I was just about to say my goodbyes when an older man with glasses ran out of the Mystery Shack entrance. He had an intense expression and held one of the journals that Dipper was talking about to his chest. He took a deep breath and looked at all of us. "Everyone. We need to talk."

"Hey, dudes." Wendy said, "we need to do this, but we'll see you tomorrow, okay?" She extended her hand for a high five which Greg leaped to reach, and everyone else waved and rushed inside.

I supposed that they were going to have yet another story to tell.