Chapter 37

"Mr. Eugene? Why are you freely walking with the enemies?" A guard asked. He was standing in front of the door, guarding it and staring at Flynn with a look of disgust.

We were outside in Auradon's forest, at a place where I never thought they'd be brought. They were kept in a cabin in the woods. I kept praying that they'd be okay and none of them would be dead.

"I'm not freely walking around with the enemies. I'm bringing them to the cabin." Flynn lied, or so I hope he was and reached his hand out to unlock the cabin's door.

The guard blocked his hand. "No, take the little girl to the cabin and take the other to Audrey."

Flynn quirked an eyebrow at the guard. "Excuse me, Richard?"

"I said, take the little girl to the cabin and take the other to Audrey. It's Audrey's exact orders." Richard eyed Flynn suspiciously.

It felt really awkward that they were just standing there and staring at each other. I wanted to make a movement or say something, but I knew that would bring attention to me, and that would honestly be the last thing I wanted.

All I could really do was stand there with my hand in Everly's. Moving only my eyes, I could see Everly holding my hand tightly and staring at the guard with a frown.

I figured using my sword that was resting in my other hand wouldn't be a good idea either, because the guard could easily send others. He was obviously furious at Flynn, and me doing something stupid would attract more anger.

Now the guard was looking at all three of us, shaking his head at Flynn in disappointment.

"Fine, I'll just do it." He harshly reached for Everly's hand and before I could grab the guard's hand, Flynn did.

"No, you won't be doing anything." Flynn told him. "I'm more than capable of turning them in myself. I don't want you to do it."

"Eugene, does it seriously matter?" Richard asked harshly. "We're all on the same team, right? Don't tell me you've become traitors and work with the enemies now."

I silently stared at Flynn, noticing him flinch at Richard's words. Before I could even comprehend what was going on, Richard was laying unconsciously on the floor with Flynn cracking his knuckles and staring at him angrily.

"Flynn..." I started, but I was lost for words. He just stood there staring at Richard, not even bothering to look back at Everly or even me.

I flicked my eyes at Everly. She was very quiet, quieter than before. All she was doing was holding my hand and staring at Flynn with a frightful look.

All of a sudden, Flynn looked up at me, and walked towards me. He patted me on a shoulder and started to walk away from us.

"Flynn? Where are you going?" I ask him, grabbing his arm and letting go of Everly's hand.

"I'm not helping you anymore." Flynn told me, looking into my eyes deeply.

My heart ached when I heard those simple words. Feeling desperate, I got down on my knees and held his hand.

"Flynn, please. I really need your help, you're my only hope. Please, Flynn. Please." I begged. "I'll...double your money, I'll try to get you a better paying job, I'll donate as often, too."

"It's not about money." Flynn told me, grasping onto my hands and lifting me up to a standing position. "I'm weak, I'm not gonna be able to help you."

"Weak? I'm pretty sure you killed Richard."

Flynn shook his head. "He's not dead, he'll live. Besides, I didn't mean physically weak, I meant mentally. But hey, good luck."

I stared at Flynn in shock. He seriously wasn't going to help me anymore? "If you aren't going to help me, how are you going to get money?"

"The same way I did before. By stealing." He smirked. "Again, good luck. Keep Everly safe for me, yeah?"

As he started walking away, I felt all my hopefulness slipping away. I felt all my motivation leave too. I truly couldn't defeat Audrey by myself, I needed Flynn. But it seemed as if he wasn't even interested in money anymore.

What can I do now?

"I thought we were friends, Flynn." I told him, feeling my voice shake.

From the distance he was, he turned to smile at me as he walked backwards. "We are."

He turned around again and ran away from me, leaving Everly and I standing there alone.

I walked back to Everly, noticing her holding Richard's hand. I guess she thought he was dead too, and felt guilty.

"Where did Uncle Flynn go?" Everly asks me, dropping Richard's hand and reaching out for mine instead.

I quirked an eyebrow, "Uncle?"

Everly lightly smiled. "I like Aunty and Uncle more than Ms. and Mr."

I smiled at her. "Flynn left, but it's okay. We can do this ourselves, right?"

Everly brightly smiled at me. "Yes!" She let go of my hand, then grabs Richard's sword. Richard's sword looked much dangerous than mine. Everly then took my sword and held it in her hand.

I opened my mouth to protest, but she shook her head. "A huge fan of Lonnie and Jay, I know a few moves. I'll be okay."

I really didn't want to let this seven year old persuade me into using my sword, but when she swung it around, I realized she was right about knowing a few moves- a bit more than a few moves.

"Wow, you're a seven year old and can do all that? Fine, you can hold my sword. But in case, let me do the major fighting, okay?"

She happily nodded her head. "Yes Aunty Tessa!"

Without hesitation, Everly opens the door to the cabin and holds her sword.

Immediately, many guards, about ten of them, stand up. Quickly aiming for the head at one of the guards, I use my hand and punch them in the face.

Suddenly, I realized something that I should've realized with Richard.

"They aren't holograms?" I gasp out loud.

• • •

A/N: Flynn just walked out, how sad. Why was he staring at Richard? What made him not want to help Tessa & Everly anymore? Wait for an update to find out!!

 Why was he staring at Richard? What made him not want to help Tessa & Everly anymore? Wait for an update to find out!!

Until the next,
Mmie