Chapter 27: Abigale Newton

Firefly forest, Tuvroya
March 17, 1002

-~•~-

I felt a hand roughly shake my shoulder, and I yawned and stretched inside of my bed.

It wasn't the comfiest bed, but it sure as heck wasn't the worst bed in the world. I could get some pretty good sleep on it.

I'd say the covers were the only part about my bed that I absolutely hated. During Winter, the covers didn't hide me from the cold. When it was Summer, the covers couldn't stop me from heating up. The only seasons I truly liked were Spring and Fall for the reasons of my covers not being compatible with Summer and Winter. Lucky me, it was currently Spring.

"Hey, little bear cub, wake up," my father said lightly, shaking my shoulder.

I groaned and asked, "do I have to? I don't wanna get up..."

I felt the hand on my shoulder pull away, and my dad's voice softly replied, "then I guess I'll go hunting on my own today..."

That got me to open my eyes and dash out of bed. "Hunting? Yes! Hunting!" I yelled, running towards my closet and pushing my hands through all my clothes, trying to find an appropriate outfit for the day.

I showed my dad out of my room as I tried to get changed, and then I dragged myself out of my room. Once I was done, I took my bow and a quiver full of exactly fifteen arrows. I walked out of my room with a brown shirt that went a little below my waist and a belt tied around my waistline. I had dark brown pants, and I also had black boots. It matched perfectly with my chocolate brown skin.

I was smiling and walked out of my room to check on my dad in the living room to see my dad wearing casual hunting clothes, which were almost exactly like mine, but he had a coat over his shirt and belt. He had a large bow in his hand, and his quiver of arrows was already on his back.

"You ready, little bear cub?" He asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I answered.

He nodded and replied with a goofy smile, "nice to know you're ready for breakfast first."

"Wha- I meant I was ready for..." I started, trailing off as I realized how disappointed I was.

He laughed, which made me smile. Oh well, I guess hunting could wait for breakfast.

I walked over to the table, where my mom seemed to be preparing a hedgehog for all of us. I was disappointed yet again. "Only a hedgehog? What about the leftovers of the peacock from last night?" I asked.

They had eaten a peacock last night. Oh, it looked so good as my mother managed to pluck out the feathers and roast it in the furnace! My mouth had been drooling last night, I wanted to eat that peacock. Peacock was actually my second favorite food. Fun fact; bear was the best type of food there was when my dad went out to find one on his own for Mother. But once the peacock was finished cooking, it had been placed on the table in front of me, and I had lunged for it with my wooden fork, forcing the delicious meat into my mouth.

You couldn't confuse peacocks with chickens. Chicken meat was dull while peacocks were flavorful and more tender. It was more juicy, and the texture was a bit more rough. It had a certain sweetness to it that just made the peacock all more enjoyable, and a slight smell coming from it that I just couldn't have placed. No, it wasn't a smell, it was an aroma.

In the end, there were a ton of leftovers because I couldn't have eaten anymore, I was way too full. The peacock was very filling, and I felt like I would never have to eat again.

But of course, never having to eat again was just an exaggeration. Of course, today I was feeling hungry yet again. Now, instead of having leftovers of the extravagant peacock from last night, we had a small hedgehog in front of us. I thought she meant that everyone would get to eat their own hedgehog, but no, there was one, little, tiny slice of meat just sitting in front of all of us on the table as my mother sat down again.