Chapter 1 : Doom's Day

The power went out first.

In the late evening around 19:37 ( 7:37 pm ), the TV that was playing one of the most important basketball games of the season, the semi-finals to see if their university would make it into the next round, turned off. Seonghwa and his roommate, along with a few other of their friends yelled in a chorus, clearly angry because there were only fifteen seconds left on the clock in the fourth quarter and the game was tied.

Popcorn was thrown at the black screen as one of them desperately tried to see if one of the cables behind the flatscreen was disconnected.

"Couldn't have been a worse time," one of them grumbled, eyebrows furrowed together in frustration as he tried to pull up the game on his phone.

"I told you to switch internet providers," his roommate was the next to criticize him, throwing popcorn this time at Seonghwa who could only hold his hands up in defense to shield himself from the pelting kernels.

"Like this is my fault, I don't control the TV," Seonghwa shot back, clearly irritated about the whole situation too. He got up from his comfy position on the couch and ducked behind the flatscreen and settled beside his other friend who was still looking at the wires and cables. "What's wrong with it?"

"I have no idea, the wires aren't fried and they are all plugged in."

Seonghwa's nose scrunched a little in confusion.

"Hey Seonghwa, none of your clocks are working," one of their other friends called to him, pointing at the offending clock on the microwave that seemed to have gone dead as well.

Seonghwa stood up, protesting a little at his sore legs for having sat down for so long, and made his way over into the small open kitchen and started pressing at random numbers on the microwave. No matter what he did or pressed, even trying the reset button, nothing happened.

"Is the power out?" He asked, turning back to his three other friends who were standing in a circle around the small coffee table that was covered in empty beer cans, popcorn, and pretzels.

"My phone isn't charging," his roommate held up his phone, the charging cable plugged in snuggly to both the phone and the wall, but still the said phone was indeed not charging. "So, I guess the power is out after all."

Seonghwa's hands went into his hair, pushing it back as he sighed heavily in frustration. The worst time for that to happen.

"I bet it's the seniors pulling an April Fool's prank," one of them said, an accusing tone laced in with his words. "We all know those pieces of shit would do something like that, they're still butt hurt that they didn't make the team and aren't playing right now. Not our class's fault for being on a god-level for basketball."

All of them laughed at that, not a single feeling of pity in the room for any of the seniors that lost their spots on the team, rightfully so of course. Had they not been so prideful and acted as if they sat on a throne above everyone else, then maybe Seonghwa would've felt a little more empathy for them when they lost their spots, but that wasn't the case.

And now here they were, so immature that they were ruining the experience for everyone, not that any of them were surprised.

"I don't know about you, but I love seeing athletes get kicked off a team when they think their position can never be threatened, serves them right."

"Yeah, well now they are pulling this shit, I just wanted to watch the fucking game."

"Do you think the power is out everywhere?"