"Yesterday" Part 2

4 years

4 years.
4 years since the war ended.
4 years since peace was restored.
4 years since their coronation.
4 years since she's been gone.

Peter sat on the edge of his bed, staring holes into the cream marble walls. The faint melody of ancient Narnian tunes tangled with excited chatter echoed in from the busy ballroom. The 4 year anniversary celebration to honour the golden age. But for Peter, it was to commemorate something else.

That desolating moment repeated itself over and over, forever engraved in his mind. Yet again he had woken up shuddering in a pool of cold sweat and tears. Her hoarse scream still rings in his ears.

Lighting-like shivers shot down his spine as he finally stood up. He slowly walked towards his mirror, and on its surface was the sight of an unfamiliar young man. Chiseled and defined facial features, broad and strong stance, and his once champagne hair had grown ever so slightly darker. There were almost no remnants of the once innocent boy he was, when he had just first discovered love.

Suddenly, he was snapped back to reality by the sound of knocking. At the door were his three siblings dressed in their extravagant formal clothing.

"Peter?" Lucy said in a gentle tone. "It's time"

Peter had attempted a reassuring smile, but what formed was a small, hurt grin.

"A-are you okay?" Edmund asked. Susan sent a lethal glare at her brother and his insensitiveness.

"Yeah, Ed. I'm fine."

Susan, having had enough of the awkward tension that lingered, she pushed through her brother and sister and embraced Peter in a tight hug. "Stop it"

At first, he was taken by surprise. But soon his body loosened and hugged back. Seconds later He felt two more pairs of warm arms wrap around their body.

Peter felt the tight grip of guilt finally release his spirit.  They all softly fell to the floor, still keeping the embrace.

They heard the faint tap of tears as it hit the marble floor.

Tap. Tap.

The box that had been tucked away in the corner of his conscience broke open and shattered into a million pieces, releasing all that he had been holding behind. The sound of her laughter, the moment he realised he loved her, the day he lost her. It all flooded in like a cascade.

He sobbed into his sister's shoulders. All of their hearts ached. They all had grown to love Y/N like family. Never was there a day where they didn't think about her. And everyday they yearned to tell her about each new accomplishment they had made. To tell her that the peace that she had worked so hard for all of her life was finally restored.

Slowly, Lucy started to sob. Then Susan, then Edmund.

———

Cheers erupted from the packed ballroom as their kings and queens were welcomed by a trumpet band

Cheers erupted from the packed ballroom as their kings and queens were welcomed by a trumpet band. The room was filled with nobles from all around Narnia. Humans, faeries, centaurs, fawns and more.

"Please welcome high king Peter the magnificent, for the opening toast!"

Lucy smiled at her brother as she reassuringly gripped his hand, and this time he was able to return it back. The high king slowly stepped to the edge of balcony.

The room grew silent. The guests were eager to hear their leader speak.

"On behalf of my siblings, I welcome you all to Cair Paravel. Today we are gathered here to celebrate. To celebrate the end of the dark ages and the start of the new age. To celebrate the death of the white witch, who had turned the once lively and beautiful Narnia to bitter cold winter. To celebrate the victory of the great battle, restoring peace in Narnia. For good."

Peter paused. The crowd started to cheer and clap, thinking his speech was over.

"We are here..." he continued. The crowd stopped the cheering, exchanging perplexed looks.

"To honour Princess Y/N. The fifth warrior of Narnia" The room grew quiet, so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

"Princess Y/N poured her love and soul into Narnia and it's people, long before my siblings and I had arrived in Narnia. Without her we all wouldn't be here today" Peter paused again, blinking away the glaze forming in his eyes.

"So I ask you all, the citizens of Narnia. To commemorate the true leader who guided us to the new ages" Peter raised his golden goblet. His voice filled with pride, and for the first time in a while, hope.

"To victory. To peace."

The nobles in the hall raised their glasses along with their king, high up to the grand balcony. Some teary-eyed, some with their hats in their hands.

"And to Princess Y/N, our lady of Narnia"

The crowd cheered, sniffled laughter and sounds of clinking glasses warming the atmosphere.

"Long live king Peter !
Long live queen Susan !
Long live king Edmund !
Long live queen Lucy !
Long live princess Y/N !"

Peter gave a sigh or relief and raised his head to the other side of the hall. A large tapestry hung, of a young, beautiful girl.

She sat with poise, her H/C hair perfectly placed to frame her soft grin. On her head rested a golden tiara with a gardenia flower, with an emerald encrusted in the centre.

Their lady of Narnia.

Peter smiled, thinking of her. Wondering if she could see the legacy she left behind, and hoping that she rests in Aslan's country in peace with the knowledge that his heart would forever belong to her.