The New Kid

"Bluey! Bluey, Bluey, Bluey, Bluey!!!"

Bingo's voice was loud and clear. Bluey looked up from her book and sighed. "What is it, Bingo?" Bingo raced to her older sister, taking the book in her paws. "Our new neighbors are here!" She leaped up and down. She was about to go into seventh grade, but she still acted five. Bluey rolled her eyes. "Calm down, and then we can meet them!" She fluffed back her small hair tuft and stood up. She was in the front yard, reading an epic romance story how a peasant boy became a king. She just got to the part where-

"Come onnnnn!" She yanked her sister forward, running to Judo's old front yard. She knocked on the door and grinned. A tall, tan and white dog answered the door. "Hello. You must be our neighbors. The Heelers, correct?" He looked down at the two younger dogs on his front porch. "You're turning 13, right?" He pointed to Bluey. "And you...I'd assume your turning nine. Maybe ten." The new neighbor looked down to Bingo. "Actually sir, I'm already 11!" She lifted her nose cheerfully. "Eleven, ay? Hm..." Bingo nodded vigorously. "Do you have any kids that are our age?" She asked, a smile plastered on her face.

The tall guy narrowed his eyes. He shut the door, and quickly called two muffle names. Bluey could make it out, but just barely. Did he say "Matek?" What kind of name is that? Bluey couldn't help but think. Bluey shifted her gaze from the door to Bingo, who was furiously wagging her tail. The man opened the door, and two shapes popped out from behind him. One started talking immediately, picking up Bluey's hand and shaking it vigorously.

"HI my name is Chestnut, I just turned 13 like you, and this is my little brother Matek, he got super sick when he was born so dad named him Matek because he survived and also he wasn't supposed to exist but now he does and it's super great because back in Israel we didn't have too many kids but now there are so many people here, what's your name?"

Bluey opened her mouth, understanding almost none of what he said. "Uhhh...Bluey. My name is Bluey. This is my little sister Bingo. She just turned 11." Chestnut gasped. "Hey! Matek, she just turned 11! He's turning eleven next month." He added in to Bluey. She looked to Matek, shyly approaching her sister. "Hi..." Bingo looked at Matek, her excitement fading into shyness. Bluey looked at her sister in amusement.

     Chestnut pushed his brother forward, so they were face to face. "So Anyways, what school do you go to? What school are you going to go to?" He wagged his tail. "I'm going to Brisbane State High School!" Bluey and Chestnut said simultaneously. "Me too!" They said at the same time once more. They laughed, and Bluey suddenly had a feeling of thankfulness towards Bingo. "Thanks for-Oh." Bingo and Matek had already run off in the front yard.

     "Bluey! Bingo! Lunch!" Chili's voice echoed around the culdesac. Bluey frowned. "I guess we have to go. I'll see you later!" Out of the corner of her eye, two doors down, Rusty opened the door and looked around. Why this was relevant, she had no idea. She didn't notice Mackenzie outside until just now either. She shrugged it off and walked into the house, with Bingo close behind.

     "So, Bluey, how's the new neighbors?" Bandit asked, popping a salad leaf in his mouth. "Oh. Right, their interesting. They came from...what was it, Israel? Yeah. They have curly tails." Chili nodded. "Mhm, their Canaan Dogs. There's the two that are your age, and one is three years older than the one that's turning 13. I don't know the kid's names, but I know their dad's name. His name is Maylo. Maylo Canaan."