Chapter 14

"Yes," was all that I could muster through my absolute shock.

I couldn't believe what she was asking me to do. I had 3 months to kill the only person I've ever loved... well the way I love Emelia. I didn't know what I was going to do, but I didn't think that killing her would be an option.

I wondered what mission she had failed for them to do this to her.

Would they really kill me if I didn't complete the mission?

"If you don't have any more questions, you can get some rest and we can head back in the morning. It's best to do it this way so that Emelia and your housemates are under the impression that this was a follow up to your previous punishment. You absolutely can not tell anyone," she said, standing up to lead me out of the room.

She brought me into a room that was a lot nicer than the one I stayed in last time.

When she left me alone, I laid down on the bed and thought for hours.

I was in shock. I wasn't sure what to do. There was no way I could go through with it. I would rather die than have Emelia's blood on my hands. I couldn't live with myself if I killed her. Why are they doing this to me? Couldn't they just get someone else to kill her?

I didn't understand anything. I felt like crying, but I was too numb to cry.

Instead, I laid still for a while before drifting off to sleep.

I awoke to the same official from last night shaking me.

"Get up. It's time to go home," she said, peering over me.

"Okay," was all I responded with.

I followed her out of the room, out of The Center and into an official car.

On the drive home, I remained numb and stone-cold. I wasn't in shock anymore, but I definitely wasn't okay.

The car dropped me off at my house and the official watched me go inside the house.

Upon entering, I saw everyone sitting in the living room with concerned looks on their faces.

Emelia was the first one to get up. She rushed to hug me.

"I thought they were going to do something to you," she said with her arms around me and her head buried into my neck.

I didn't know what to do as I immediately remembered my mission and felt sick to my stomach.

I wrapped my arms around her and hoped she didn't notice that I wasn't hugging her for a while.

She eventually pulled back from the hug and I greeted everyone else in the room.

"What happened?" Emelia asked.

"They were just following up on my previous punishment. It was stupid," I lied just like the official told me to.

"Oh. I'm glad you're safe," she responded.

Everyone else did their rounds of hugs and attempted small talk for a bit.

I was feeling too sick to even look at Emelia, yet alone try to make small talk with the group and her. So I told everyone I was tired and excused myself to go to bed.

They asked me if I needed anything and I just told them that I wanted to be left alone to rest. They all graciously accepted my request.

When I walked into my room I immediately put my face into the pillow and began thinking about how I would get out of this mess.

After only a couple of minutes of thinking, I realized that I actually did not want to have to think ever again, so I turned on some music and drowned out all of my thoughts.