Chapter Twenty One

The following days were extremely eventful. After returning to Emerald City aboard Tug, many of the OZ leaders branched out to journey back to their homes. When Amber asked where all the citizens of Emerald City had gone, Scarecrow told her that they were most likely scattered across the countryside. Either that, or hidden amongst their homes originating from Winkie Country, Munchin Land, and so forth. They knew spreading the news of the Jester being driven out of rule would make a large difference. As it turns out, Wiser was glad to volunteer for the job of doing just that. He and the rest of his species, whom Amber had yet to meet, proposed that they'd fly all over OZ to make sure everyone knew the land was now safe. By then, lots of people were coming and going to help repair what they had lost. Even Marshal Mallow had departed with the China Princess on a mission back to Dainty China Country in order to make up for the loss of time. The two married two weeks after the whole catastrophe, both happy to be with one another. The flying monkeys were released and all left except for Silas. Neither Dexter nor Amber knew why he stayed, but when he did, he made it his mission to be their protectors. And just like Wiser, he volunteered. Atticus retired and humbly took Marshal Mallow's place as second in command at Candy County. Being engaged and all, the Marshmallow man wouldn't have time to watch over his homeland as often as he could anymore. Most of the city had to be rebuilt, everything except for the main palace which mostly had to be cleaned. Both Glinda and Dexter gladly assisted with lifting the fog. And while the scepter was gone forever, it didn't mean that he no longer had magic.

            Amber had assigned herself to clean up duty even though Scarecrow told her she didn't have to lift a hand if she didn't want to. "Dexter, can you pass me the broom? I'm seeing more cobwebs in this corner." She called to him. They were in the Wizard's chamber, which was in a tall tower at the end of a long and ominous hallway. With Glinda and Scarecrow's permission, that was where she and the former Jester were staying. Even though there were several rooms in the palace, both of them didn't quite understand why they got saddled with this place of all places. Nevertheless, they were grateful. Amber was dressed in a simple green dress that had an even lighter green apron. Her hair was tied back with a white ribbon in a rather out-of-control ponytail. And as for him, he no longer had to wear the costume that had driven his life for so long. Instead he wore a white shirt, a dark green vest, and matching shamrock trousers. She had to admit that when she saw him for the first time in normal clothing, she would've dared to call him handsome. He stood in the corner of the chamber, trying to sort through the Wizard's belongings. But when he heard her voice, he stopped what he was doing. "One broom coming up- dollface!" Snapping his fingers together, the wooden broom that once sat on the floor hovered over to her slowly, landing perfectly in her right hand. "Thank you." She replied with a grin, stepping up on a nearby stool to reach the cobwebs in the corner. "This is going to take some getting used to, I'm already famished! Why can't we just take a break?" He plopped down on one of the stairs to take a break. "Well, you should've thought about that before making your grand entrance into this place. You knew there was a door, right? Your minions didn't have to break the windows. Besides, it took ages to clean up all that oil Tinman spilled." She reminded him, turning her head back with a smirk.

            He raised his hands, rolling his eyes playfully, "Alright, alright, I can take a hint. But there's one thing we haven't entirely cleaned up yet." He stood up and made his way over to her. She stepped down from where she stood and asked, "What is it?" Now it was his turn to smirk. Reaching inside his vest, he pulled out a familiar deck of cards. With his powers, he unleashed the deck into midair, allowing it to levitate as it dealed itself. "We never cleaned up our game of go-fish, did we, puppet?"

            Amber tilted her head at him, a blush creeping onto her face. Now that she had grown closer to him, she had no trouble at all. Dealing four cards, she now had a deck in her hand. They decided to sit on the stairs leading up to the back of the room where the former Wizard once showcased his "all-powerful" display. "Do you remember the rules?" He asked. She nodded, "If either of us guesses right and collects the other person's card, that person has to answer their question truthfully." Amber recited. Dexter chuckled lovingly, "That's my girl. Just for that, it's your call." He held his cards like a fan in front of himself, careful so that she couldn't see what he was holding. "Any jacks?" She called. "Go fish." He answered shortly. Amber couldn't help but notice how eager he was. He hadn't been this eager since their time back in the Wicked Witch's castle. It was strange, he was definitely hiding something. She ignored it and drew another card from the deck. "Any Queens?" He called next. Amber paused as she scanned through her cards, letting out a sigh as she drew one from her deck. "I hate you, y'know that?" She shook her head, handing it to him. He hummed in triumph, and she expected him to take a moment to think of a question. But instead, he already seemed to have one ready. "Are you happy here in OZ? Or do you miss your grandmother back in Kansas?" Granted, it was technically two questions at once, but for once she didn't mind. "Honestly..." she breathed, "I don't want to leave. I love my family, but that's the only real reason I have to go back to Kansas. I have too many reasons to stay here, I..." she looked into his hazel eyes. "I love you, and I can't imagine a life without you. I love everyone else too, Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion, the list goes on! In Kansas it was so hard for me to feel like I belong, but here in OZ, I finally don't feel so lost anymore. Because of that, I'm not going anywhere."