xxi

2 weeks later

-adrienne's pov-

"are you gonna get a dog since we're home now?" matisse asked as we ate lunch at a cafe he found by the practice facility. he had practice and i had paper work to do this morning, once we were both done we decided to get some lunch.

"i don't know, maybe. i don't know if i should wait until the season is over since it starts in like a month." i said taking a bite of my turkey club sandwich.

"that's true because you have to house train him and stuff." matisse said.

"i think when i do get one i want a dachshund." i told him.

"isn't that the wiener dogs?" matisse asked chuckling a little bit.

"yeah, my grandma used to have like three when i was younger." i said.

"let's go look at the shelter down the road after we finish eating." he said.

"okay, what do you think i should name him or her?" i asked him.

"you have to give it a cool name like mufasa." he said.

"like from the lion king?" i asked laughing.

"yeah, he was cool." he said.

"what about like dwight from the office because he was kinda weird but in like the best way possible and it's a wiener dog. they look kinda weird but in a cute way." i said.

-time skip-

"that one is so cute!" i said pointing to a 2 year old dachshund with long brown and black fur. matisse and i went to the pound after we finished eating.

"what's up jesse." matisse said referring to the name tag on the outside of his crate.

"a family brought him and another dog in about a month ago, the other dog is about 9 years old. we named them after the charters from breaking bad. they said he's house, crate, and leash trained." jim, the shelter worker, said to us.

"that's perfect." i said.

"how come they gave him away?" matisse asked.

"the original owner's kids came in with the dogs and said their dad was moving into a nursing home that didn't accept dogs and none of them could take them." he explained to us. "we can take him out to the yard and you guys can play with him and see if he'd be a good fit." jim said to us.

"sure, let's do that." i said excited to play with the dog. we went to a small fenced in area filled with toys and jim brought jesse out on a lease before letting him off once he got in the fenced in area. after playing with him for about 20 minutes it's safe to say both me and matisse loved jesse. we ended up both signing for him. we bought food, a crate, and some toys at the shelter before taking him home.

"since we have a dog now, i think it'd be a good idea if you moved in to my house so we could take care of him together." i said feeling my palms sweat as we drove home with jesse in his crate in the backseat. matisse still made me nervous sometimes, not in a bad way though. in a i'm-in-love-with-this-guy-i-hope-he-feels-the-same-way kinda way. 

"yeah, that sounds good to me." matisse said grabbing my hand and flashing me a smile before bringing his attention back to the road.