VII

Dan

The score was set at 1-0. The first goal being scored by Callum only ten minutes into the game. Being a home game our half of the bleachers were filled with parents, friends and supporting students, who all erupted into cheers when he sent the ball into the top corner of the goal. It was a great start to our first game of the season and was probably the proudest I'd ever been of Callum.

The sound of the referee's whistle cut through the sounds of cheers, when he called for half time. We jogged towards the end of the pitch, slapping each other on the backs as we made our way to the changing rooms.

I stepped into the room.

The boys changing rooms were disgusting.  It was dusty old room that the cleaners were seemingly scared to enter. With messages scratched into the bench such as "Jack was 'ere" - Signed 1998. I was positive that the room hadn't been renovated once in at least that past fifty years.

The scent of body odour and the deadly high levels of testosterone, made it difficult to breathe in the room. As I'd gotten used to it, the stench had become less apparent over the years, and I shamefully admitted that it had become a place that held very fond memories.

I grabbed my water bottle from my bag, taking a swig from it as I sat on the bench behind me. The other ten members of the team plus subs, filled the changing room. The volume of chatter seemed to get louder and louder. It suddenly quietened when Ethan Dale, short, brunet and our right back defender began to speak.

He smiled to himself, his voice cutting through the mumble.

"I was surprised to see Adams in the audience."

I blinked a few times, my eyebrows scrunching up.

Adams is a common last name. Surely they couldn't be talking about-

"Adams?" Another male voice sounded.

I had invited him to the game - or if you asked Callum, I'd invited his friend, but with the excitement of it being out first game I hadn't actually checked whether or not he was there.

Ethan grinned. I hated Ethan's smiles. Smiles were supposed to be happy, but his were nothing but twisted.

"The one and only Hudson Adams."

He was an arsehole, really. But I learned to tolerate him because he knew how to kick a ball well.

He continued.

"I reckon he's probably trying to scout one of our players."

A snort sounded from the other side of room, my confusion deepened.

"What does he mean?" I mumbled to Callum next to me.

"You haven't heard?" I shook my head. "Apparently someone saw him getting frisky with one of Westfield's players last weekend."

My jaw tensed. I tried to keep my face from showing the pang of jealousy I felt when the words left his mouth.

Except there was no way I could be jealous. Hudson was a boy and I wasn't into boys.

"Male player." Callum whispered.

I liked girls, nice, pretty girls. Girls like Hayley, who were shorter than me, smaller than me and liked getting their nails done every weekend.

Not boys, who were taller than me, smarter than me. Not the boy who would one minute - give me zero marks on a question and tell me I was doing it all wrong, and then big me up and flirt with me the next.

Ethan didn't seemed to be finished, it was said under his breath, but intentionally loud enough for us all to hear.

"Someone needs to tell him he's out of luck, we don't have any fags on our team."