An invisible friend

I finally made it home. Drained, stained and not giving a damn. I had work the following day so I knew I had to rest sufficiently. That’s exactly what I did. Sleep and eat, then sleep some more. I slept through the sunshine and into the night. It was about 9 in the evening that I was woken by a voice in my room. It felt like a dream but I knew I had heard something, or someone.

At this point I was beginning to accept the fact that I may be losing my mind. The acceptance did nothing to shake the feeling that something was in the room with me. I didn't want to see it but expected that I would at any time. Keeping my head and eye movements minimal incase they turned the wrong way and the thing just happened to be there.

My breaths were deep just like my mother taught me. "When you start to panic, take deep breaths," she would say. "Count each one to keep them in sync." I was counting out loud on purpose to distract me from my thoughts. "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight." Keeping the circumference of my eye movements to within an inch of each other.

"Are you lonely?" My heart went off again. My ears were ringing furiously. I kept quite and still. Hoping the voice would ignore me. "I'm lonely. I want to be your friend." 'Is it really talking to me? That's not in my head. I can hear it.' I thought. I began reciting a protection spell. The one to banish wicked spirits. Those types of spells don’t require fancy ceremonies. Just the right words and an emotional heart. "That won't help you," the thing said before I could finish the final verses.

Thinking about it now, if I had completed the spell then perhaps I would have banished it. If not from this world then at least from my presence. But this spirit was so cunning. It had me doubting myself. And I was so naive at the time. Much education but zero experience in matters of the other world. I was bound to be outmanoeuvred regardless of the knowledge I had. "Who ... are ... you?" I tremored. "Know yourself if you want to know me," it replied. I did not know what that meant at the time. "What do you want from me," I asked. "You. I want you ... to fulfil ... my desires." I frowned. "Are you some kind of sex demon?" "Curse you! For opening your mouth without thought. You will learn very quickly to watch your tounge." It was then a grey black mist rose out of the corner of my eye. It engulfed the room in rapid succession. Then I began to hallucinate the most disturbing visions that I have not been able to get over since.