one

vienna's pov-

isn't it beautiful? autumn. it's my favorite season of all. it represents shedding the coats of negative emotion pent up in your body that has built up over the year,,

or at least that's what it represents to me.

many people would say loving autumn is way too sappy and poetic. usually, the people that like autumn say something along the lines of "i prefer books over people" and "i live in books not on earth" as the first line in their introduction.

those people are considered cliche, but i think it all depends on the degree of "quirkiness" they like to put on display.

i'd consider myself pretty cliche, sitting in a small cafe in the oldest part of town, just outside of london, watching the sky as the greys and blacks cover the fair, bright blue tone with their grumpiness and anger. the clouds seem to have something i was never able to express.

the need for vengeance.

i wouldn't consider myself weak, per se, but i've not the strongest character out there, either. i forgive so easily. i cant hold a grudge. i've been told too many times that i have no personality, but that's not true at all.

with time i've come to realize that i "didn't have a personality" only because i was living for others.

i guess that's why i'm out here alone right now, writing poems like a fucking idiot and tr-

my thoughts got interrupted by a tap on my shoulder. being as jumpy as i am, it's hard to remain in my place and not let my heart run out and do a lap around its cage.

"excuse me, is that 'i love you'?"

as i calmed my heart i got the time to take in the appearance of the stranger. his light brown hair lay on top of his head messily but carefully, as if each strand were placed in its own little space perfectly. he also had those beautiful, mesmerizing eyes that resemble the color of the wood when it'd rain in forests, and the trees would stand wet, smelling of rain and leaves. he was also wearing a crewneck sweater which was deep burgundy,

as well as his appearance, i had to take a second to realize that he'd asked me a question. is tha- what?

"i'm re- excuse me?" i question, not bothering to finish what i was initially about to say.

"sorry. i meant, is that the 'i love you' album by the neighborhood on vinyl?" he explained, painting to the little flat box on the table, as my lips slowly formed an o-shape.

"it is, indeed. do you like them? they're my favorite band right now, i can't believe they're not on everyone's top lists." i try to keep my tone soft, which is something i find hard when i get excited.

this, to my dismay, is a topic i can discuss forever. each song on there has a meaning to me. so much meaning. i should tell him that!

"every s-" i start, getting interrupted immediately.

"they're de-" he starts, stopping right after he processes the fact that we just spoke over each other.

"shit, sorry!" he laughed, covering the beautiful smile forming on his face, lighting up his eyes.

"no worries, it was my bad, you go!" i quickly added before i could accidentally speak over him again.

"well, they are one of my favorites too, for sure. their music had saved me at a very low point in my life." he said, searching my face for a reply. i quickly nod, encouraging him to go on.

"probably one of my favorite songs by them would have to be 'staying up'. at some point i was too paranoid and anxious to leave my house and developed a fear of leaving my room in general. this song feels like home to me" his features softened as he spoke, giving me a sense of trust and making me feel worthy of storing such information within the walls of my memory.

"what did you want to say before i 'oh-so-rudely' interrupted you?" he lets out a giggle and i can't help but laugh along with him.

"i was about to say that! all of their songs from that album mean a lot to me... mine is probably 'flawless', it perfectly portrays one sided love that is covered with a white cloth of lies." i say, hoping he fills the silence that follows.

he doesn't, thought. so i take matters into my own hands- "so i guess we both are traumatized, huh?" i let out an awkward chuckle as i slowly turned around in hopes of escaping his gaze if he looks at me awkwardly.

however, that didn't happen. with a little laugh, he said, "you got me. i'm william, by the way. will, if you prefer."

at that moment i could swear my racing heart was my own worst enemy, as he reached his hand out to me.

"i'm vienna, vie if you'd like," i said with a soft smile as i reacher my hand to his carefully. slowly, he shook my hand, so lightly, as if he was afraid to break me if he pressed too hard, "nice to meet you." i said with a soft, tone, ever so quietly. i wasn't even sure he heard me.

"pleasures all mine." he said, returning the smile as he retreated back into the line for coffee.

i quickly turn my head back and put my hands on my knees, gripping the fabric of my clothes, trying to bring myself back to reality. in this moment, i can't feel myself being present.

my mind wanders, doing laps around a certain brown eyed boy.

his eyes.

they were mesmerizing. i could look at them all day. they drew me to him, like a moth to the flame. it brought out the curiosity in me. it made me want to come as close as i can. more. closer, closer.

close enough to burn myself.

——

excuse how short the chapter is, it's only the start:) had to somehow introduce the characters and find a way of showing their first interaction without jumping right to it<3
don't be a silent reader !!
love you, nova.