I get kidnapped by said little, Italian emo

"Overthrow the gods?" I sat up in surprise. "Aren't they the good guys?"

"They've never been good guys" Luke snapped. "And now it's time for a new age. The age of heroes, we've never needed the gods but they've always needed us"

"How can a bunch of teenagers go against gods?" 

"We're not just teenagers." Luke paused. "I'm going to resurrect the Titan king- Kronos. And under him, it will be a new era, rid of gods"

I needed time for all that information to sink in, but Luke wasn't finished. 

"Tell me, have the gods ever done anything for you? They couldn't even acknowledge you. They can't even bother with heroes. You think that's going to change?" 

The more Luke spoke, the more I felt an unfamiliar anger bubble inside me. I didn't even know the gods but what they seemed to be doing was wrong. I had always hated my dad for not being there for mom and me. And now by the looks of it, he never even cared. I blamed him for all the things my mother used to say to me. 

She'd say that she never wanted me, and that life was better before me. She's probably right, and it's all their fault. 

I stood up and Luke did the same. 

"Can I count on you to be by my side?" He asked extending his hand. 

Before I could place my hand in his, my front door burst open. I blinked and suddenly Luke held a sword in his hand when I had been sure he had a baseball bat a second ago. I would've asked him about it, but we had more pressing matters at hand.

"Luke" A voice greeted. 

It was a boy, about my age. He had dark, shaggy hair which was almost shoulder length and skin paler than I had ever seen. He wore ripped black jeans and a battered aviator's jacket that was several sizes too big, unzipped over a black shirt. His face was grimy, his eyes a little wild. He looked like a kid who'd been living on the streets. He looked exhausted and powerless, nevertheless, he stood holding a wicked sharp sword, blacker than I had ever seen. 

"Nico, is it?" Luke breathed evenly, not phased by him. "We didn't get to meet"

"Are you recruiting her?" 'Nico' asked, nodding toward me, though he kept his eyes on Luke.

"None of your business" Luke said, pushing me away. "Lets talk about you... are you here to join me?" 

"Never" Nico replied. The two were now locked in a staring match. 

"I can bring your sister back" Luke offered. "What have the gods ever done for you? What has Percy done for you?" 

At the mention of whoever "Percy" was, Nico froze. That was a mistake because Luke charged. I watched in horror as Luke's blade almost hit Nico. In that split second, I felt so much. Disgust- at Luke to be willing to kill someone, horror- at the person he had become and worry- for whoever Nico was.

The blade would've connected with Nico but at the last second Luke fell on the floor as if someone had pulled his ankle. 

Everyone's eyes turned to the floor where vines were retreating into the wooden floor. They were lush green with plump purple The unravelled themselves from around Luke's foot and disappeared, leaving the room smelling like grapes. 

"Impressive" Luke got to his feet. "Child of Dionysus, or Demeter?" 

But Nico shook his head. "That wasn't me" 

The two boys turned to me. But that couldn't be possible right? I can't control vines or grapes. I'm not a child of Dionysus or Demeter... I'm not.. right? 

My head started pounding as I thought over what exactly had happened. All I wanted was for Luke to not hurt the boy. That wasn't Luke though, this was a completely changed person filled with hate and revenge. 

"Luke, that wasn't- I didn't.. that's not" I struggled to form a coherent sentence, but Luke lay a comforting hand on my shoulder. 

"It's okay Maeve... It's fine, I probably spooked you bad" He whispered. "But we need to get away from here... Do what you just did"

"I didn't do anything" I said. The ground was swaying beneath me and the room was spinning, but I was sure this was all a big nightmare. I was sure that it was a trick conjured by my brain. 

Luke let go and turned back toward Nico, who had recovered from his shock. The boy now had an angry look in his eyes. He looked positively murderous. 

Nico raised his black sword and charged. 

He deflected a hit from Luke and instead of focusing on the blond, he passed him and wrapped his arms around my waist. Before I could comprehend what was going on, he pulled me into the shadows and the world dissolved into darkness.